Microsoft Keyboard Causes Bootup to hang

Old May 20th 04, 12:51 PM
Walmsley's

Default Microsoft Keyboard Causes Bootup to hang

Hi

I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
P4 3.2ghz HT
512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
Windows XP Home

I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers

The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2 connection
to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.

When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot. It
powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)

If I hit the reset button, the whole thing fires up fine,
If I connect a different Keyboard to the PS/2 it fires up fine.
I've tried changing the wireless channel and this has no effect.
If I disconnect the wireless K/B, power up with a different K/B, power down,
reconnect the Wireless K/B, it fires up OK on the FIRST attempt ONLY.

A very bizarre problem!

I'm hoping someone else out there has had this problem, and solved it!

Any advice on this greatly appreciated!

Nik.

Remove S P A M K I L L From my Email address to reply to me Directly

Old May 20th 04, 01:50 PM
Pepperoni

"Walmsley's" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a brand new PC (pre-built):-
P4 3.2ghz HT
512mb ddr 400mhz RAM
Asus P4P800SE Mo/Bo (Latest BIOS)
200GB S-ATA Maxtor Drive
Windows XP Home

I've connected a new Wireless Keyboard and mouse from Microsoft (optical
wireless desktop Elite) - LATEST drivers

The Wireless hub has 2 cables running from it. 1 is for the PS/2

connection
to the PC, the other is USB for the mouse.

When I connect the Keyboard to the PS/2 socket the system will not boot.

It
powers up, and the H/D light flickers away, but it will not send video
signal to the Monitor, and pressing the power button again does not switch
it off (I have to hold it for the 4 secs to power down.)

A keyboard and mouse must be detected for the system to boot. I use the
Wireless MultiMedia model. Your kbd/mouse is not being properly detected.
Since it does run correctly using the reset, consider leaving the power on
at shutdown, and just using reset to start your system. (works fine for me
running W'98) Since your board has two ps/2 ports, try using the green
adapter plug that came with your unit. Some systems don't detect well using
the USB. Try running both keyboard and mouse on the ps/2 ports.

Go to system properties and see that the set is named properly...... if so
install new driver from your OS disc.

Replace the cheap batteries that came with the unit with new alkaline
batteries. Go to control panel and try the "add new hardware" utility to
see if you can get it to load a new keyboard driver. It's a MS unit, so I
would try to load drivers from your OS disc. Failing that, try to make a
new boot disc and see if you can get it to boot properly. If you can get
it to boot from a boot disc, I would remove the kbd/mouse from system/device
manager, and boot from the boot disc in the hope that it will detect it as
new hardware and load the correct driver set.

Old May 20th 04, 04:14 PM
Rob Hemmings

"Walmsley's" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look in the BIOS and see if "Legacy USB mouse/keyboad support"
(or similar) is enabled. Try it with both settings.
It could also be that your USB devices are taking too much power from the
USB bus - try disconnecting all USB devices other than mouse/keyboard.
If that's no help, I suggest you go through the steps that "Pepperoni"
suggests.
HTH
--
Rob

Old May 20th 04, 06:29 PM
Walmsley's

I've tried every combination of USB devices. Bottom line is, if the Keyboard
is attached, the system hangs. I've done it with JUST the keyboard attached,
it's PS2. Weird fault!!

Nik.

Old May 20th 04, 09:20 PM
Walmsley's

Tried Uninstalling the drivers, but I can't seem to get device manager to
recognise "Wireless Desktop Keyboard Elite" or "Wireless Intellimouse
explorer 2.0 with Tilt Wheel" - It says "standard 101/102-key....." and
"Microsoft USB Wireless mouse - Intellipoint"

Could this be an issue? They both seem to work ok. It used to say "Wireless
USB hub..." under the keyboard settings, I can't seem to get that back!

Anymore advice???

Thanks again

Nik.