Upgrading Asus P2B-F

Old June 30th 03, 07:26 AM
Christoph Maurer

Default Upgrading Asus P2B-F

Hello together.

I've got an Asus P2B-F Mainbord running with an Celeron 400 CPU (FCPGA
to Slot1-Adapter). As this CPU becomes to slow for my needs I'd like to
upgrade my system. Therefore my question: Which CPUs can I run on this
board?

Asus write Celeron up to 500 MHz an PIII up to 600 MHz. Is this really
the end?

I've heard of people who run e.g. 900 MHz CPUs on this board. Is this
possible and do I need special adapters for this? How can I avoid
problems with the core voltage?

Thanks for your advice and best regards

Christoph

--
Christoph Maurer - http://www.christophmaurer.de
- Tux# 194235
Old June 30th 03, 08:38 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Christoph Maurer schrieb:

Hello together.

I've got an Asus P2B-F Mainbord running with an Celeron 400 CPU (FCPGA
to Slot1-Adapter). As this CPU becomes to slow for my needs I'd like to
upgrade my system. Therefore my question: Which CPUs can I run on this
board?

Please read Roland's P2B* upgrading FAQ.
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheideg...grade_faq.html

Stephan
--
Home: http://jgrossklass.bei.t-online.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 256 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W
Old June 30th 03, 09:02 PM
Paul

In article , Christoph
Maurer wrote:

Hello together.

I've got an Asus P2B-F Mainbord running with an Celeron 400 CPU (FCPGA
to Slot1-Adapter). As this CPU becomes to slow for my needs I'd like to
upgrade my system. Therefore my question: Which CPUs can I run on this
board?

Asus write Celeron up to 500 MHz an PIII up to 600 MHz. Is this really
the end?

I've heard of people who run e.g. 900 MHz CPUs on this board. Is this
possible and do I need special adapters for this? How can I avoid
problems with the core voltage?

Thanks for your advice and best regards

Christoph

Your options might depend on which voltage regulator is on the board.
For that, consult Roland's FAQ (Hint - Print the webpage to 11x17 PDF
to make the table easier to read):

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheideg...grade_faq.html

If you have lots of money (relatively speaking), then a Powerleap
PL/iPT3 has its own voltage regulator, so the only other thing you
need, is a BIOS that can handle the new processor.

(This is the powerleap.com page for PL/iP3T)
http://plpadmin.tempdomainname.com/PLiP3T.html

For the higher speed processor options, a BIOS upgrade wouldn't hurt,
before installing a new processor:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sl...f/1014f003.zip

With the very latest Tualatins, the "microcode" will be missing
from the latest beta BIOS 1014.004 mentioned above. Look for "CTMC"
and "microcode" in groups.google.com, for a procedure to add a
microcode from another more recent BIOS file, to the 1014.003.
Using CTMC requires the new processor to be present in the motherboard,
so the CTMC step will be _after_ your upgrade. The CTMC program
uses a hook in the BIOS that just programs the microcode, which
eliminates the dangers involved with other methods that try to
modify the BIOS file before burning it. The beta BIOS may support
CPUID 06B1, whereas using the CTMC procedure will allow support
for 06B4 that currently ships.

I use an Upgradeware Slot-T for my board, as I have a voltage
regulator suitable for use with Tualatin. This is a much cheaper
route to upgrading a P2B-xx. I use a 100MHz bus processor.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 2nd 03, 01:24 PM
Christoph Maurer

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:02:00 -0400, Paul wrote:
In article , Christoph
Maurer wrote:

Hello together.

I've got an Asus P2B-F Mainbord running with an Celeron 400 CPU (FCPGA
to Slot1-Adapter). As this CPU becomes to slow for my needs I'd like to
upgrade my system. Therefore my question: Which CPUs can I run on this
board?

Asus write Celeron up to 500 MHz an PIII up to 600 MHz. Is this really
the end?

I've heard of people who run e.g. 900 MHz CPUs on this board. Is this
possible and do I need special adapters for this? How can I avoid
problems with the core voltage?

Thanks for your advice and best regards

Christoph

Your options might depend on which voltage regulator is on the board.
For that, consult Roland's FAQ (Hint - Print the webpage to 11x17 PDF
to make the table easier to read):

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheideg...grade_faq.html

Okay, I checked this and I have a P2B-F Rev. 1.00 with a A29 PCBA. This
is not in the list of PCBA numbers with the new voltage regulator chip.
But the chip is a HIP6019BCB, which should be able to provide 1.3V
according to Rolands FAQ. So, will my board be able to run Tualtin CPUs
with e.g. the Upgradeware SLOT-T slotket?

For the higher speed processor options, a BIOS upgrade wouldn't hurt,
before installing a new processor:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sl...f/1014f003.zip

I'll do this then.

With the very latest Tualatins, the "microcode" will be missing
from the latest beta BIOS 1014.004 mentioned above. Look for "CTMC"
and "microcode" in groups.google.com, for a procedure to add a

What does the very latest Tualatins mean?

I use an Upgradeware Slot-T for my board, as I have a voltage
regulator suitable for use with Tualatin. This is a much cheaper
route to upgrading a P2B-xx. I use a 100MHz bus processor.

That's exactly what I plan to do...

Best regards

Christoph