DVD drive auto-retracts!

Old January 11th 16, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

Default DVD drive auto-retracts!

I've never encountered this one before... a couple of days ago I
replaced an ailing CD/DVD burner in my Windows 7 computer. Now, if I
leave the drive tray open, it will automatically retract in exactly 3
minutes 15 seconds! I don't want it to do that, but I can see no
setting to control that behavior. Maybe it's a "feature" of that model
drive (an LG, identified as "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0" in Device
Manager), but it's a new one one me.

Anybody know how to turn this off?
Old January 12th 16, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 11 Jan 2016, Nil wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I've never encountered this one before... a couple of days ago I
replaced an ailing CD/DVD burner in my Windows 7 computer. Now, if
I leave the drive tray open, it will automatically retract in
exactly 3 minutes 15 seconds! I don't want it to do that, but I
can see no setting to control that behavior. Maybe it's a
"feature" of that model drive (an LG, identified as "HL-DT-ST
DVDRAM GH24NSC0" in Device Manager), but it's a new one one me.

Anybody know how to turn this off?

I just got off a web chat with an LG agent. He claims it's a feature of
the drive and not defeatable. He said he has a Pioneer drive that does
a similar thing. I've installed lots of DVD writers in many computers,
and I've never seen this. The computer I'm at right now has an older LG
drive, model GH22NS70, and it does not do that.

Is this a new thing that all new drives do?

I don't like it, no sir.
Old January 12th 16, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Nil wrote:
[...]

Leaving it open perhaps falls under the category of using it in a manner
for which it was not designed. Imagine how many have been broken by
people who unintentionally left it opened. I suppose if it really
doesn't meet your needs that you could return it.

Old January 12th 16, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
B00ze

On 2016-01-11 22:53, Bill wrote:

Leaving it open perhaps falls under the category of using it in a manner
for which it was not designed. Imagine how many have been broken by
people who unintentionally left it opened. I suppose if it really
doesn't meet your needs that you could return it.

This complaint immediately made me think the OP is using it as a cup
holder. Why would it bother anyone that it closes after 3 minutes? Who
needs this opened more than the 15 seconds it takes to put a disc in?

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Member-+-David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/Planetary-Society-+-
Old January 12th 16, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 11 Jan 2016, B00ze wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

This complaint immediately made me think the OP is using it as a
cup holder. Why would it bother anyone that it closes after 3
minutes? Who needs this opened more than the 15 seconds it takes
to put a disc in?

So, can I assume that neither one of you knows the answer?

The answer to the question does not depend on your approval of my
reason. You will have to accept that my reason is valid. I will say
that it's not to hold a cup.

Does yours close by itself?
Old January 12th 16, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 11 Jan 2016, Bill wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Leaving it open perhaps falls undethe category of using it in a
manner for which it was not designed.

Where is this documented? I have searched the LG site and I find no
mention of this.
Old January 12th 16, 08:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Nil wrote:
On 11 Jan 2016, B00ze wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

This complaint immediately made me think the OP is using it as a
cup holder. Why would it bother anyone that it closes after 3
minutes? Who needs this opened more than the 15 seconds it takes
to put a disc in?

So, can I assume that neither one of you knows the answer?

The answer to the question does not depend on your approval of my
reason. You will have to accept that my reason is valid. I will say
that it's not to hold a cup.

Does yours close by itself?

Haven't seen it here. But I've only owned maybe ten drives,
which isn't a very large sample. I have a GH22 and a GH24
series one in my collection, but both are fine.

And I agree, the tray should not close on its own, because
you could have your fingers on the tray at that instant
in time.

A test case you can try, is to disconnect the data cable,
and operate the unit with just power connected, and see
if it still does the tray close on its own. If the data cable
is connected, something could actually be sending it a command.

Paul
Old January 12th 16, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Nil wrote:
On 11 Jan 2016, Bill wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Leaving it open perhaps falls undethe category of using it in a
manner for which it was not designed.

Where is this documented? I have searched the LG site and I find no
mention of this.

It was designed to read and write disks, not sit open, right? For the
(cheap) price of most of these units these days, folks should be
delighted. I've never had mine open for more than about 15 seconds, so I
don't know whether it closes automatically or not.
Old January 12th 16, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 12 Jan 2016, Bill wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

It was designed to read and write disks, not sit open, right?

I'd say, 'wrong'. Every other of the dozens of drives I've used has
stayed open until told to close. They were designed that way.

For the (cheap) price of most of these units these days, folks
should be delighted.

I should be delighted that this one works differently than every
other one I've used just because it's cheap?

I don't think so.

(BTW, the most of the others were equally as cheap.)

I've never had mine open for more than about 15 seconds, so I
don't know whether it closes automatically or not.

OK, so you don't know the answer to my original question. Thanks for
your input.
Old January 12th 16, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 12 Jan 2016, Paul wrote in alt.comp.hardware.pc-
homebuilt:

A test case you can try, is to disconnect the data cable,
and operate the unit with just power connected, and see
if it still does the tray close on its own. If the data cable
is connected, something could actually be sending it a command.

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I looked everywhere I
could think of in Windows - Device Manager entry for the drive and
controller, Power settings, the properties for the drive, etc - for a
setting that might affect the tray, but couldn't find anything. I had a
web chat with a rep from LG, and he claims that it's a feature of the
drive itself, but he didn't sound very sure of himself. Your test
should confirm it one way or another.