Zone 2 too hot - Intel PERL865 Motherboard

Old December 31st 03, 04:12 PM
William G. Anderson

Default Zone 2 too hot - Intel PERL865 Motherboard

Wayne:

I have the same motherboard, and the same problem. Different case
(Antec) with two case fans in the back, one on the side, as well as
power supply, video, and cpu fans. I also see the "Zone 2"
temperature get up to about 51 degrees during DVD processing.

To see where the temperature sensors are, download the Intel D865Perl
product specification on the Intel website - see page 42. There are
three temperature sensors - one in the CPU die, a second one "B", and
a third ambient temperature sensor located between the memory and the
CPU - I _think_ that the ambient temperature sensor is shown as Zone 2
- but there is nothing on the Intel website or technical documentation
to know for sure.

The Fans are NOT associated with the zones. With the exception f the
processor fan (which plugs into a special slot), the order in which
the fans are shown depends on which fan plugs into which slot in the
motherboard. Again, I don't know how the fan plugs translate into the
order on the Active montor. Perhaps someone else knows.

Does anyone know anymore about this problem. Is there a location
where we can add a fan to solve the (slight) overheating problem?

Bill Anderson

"Wayne" wrote:

When rendering Video on an Intel D865PERL with an ATI AIW9000, the Intel
monitor shows "System Zone 2" getting too hot. Since it peaks at 51º and
only lasts for about an hour during rendering, I'm not too worried about
over-heating, but the alarm becomes intrusive. So I have questions.

My system has two case fans, both on the back. There is power supply fan,
and a CPU fan. All four fans are attached to the motherboard. There is a
fifth fan on the Display card.

I'm confused because the Intel monitor only shows 3 zones. All three zones
get warmer during rendering. The "Processor Zone" gets near the Red zone,
but doesn't reach it. The monitor shows three zone temperature meters
"Processor", "System 1", and "System 2". It shows three fans. "Fan 1",
"Fan 2", and "Fan 3".

I added the second case fan hoping to solve the problem, but it didn't make
any difference.

How can I know which fan is associated with which zone?

How can I tell what "System Zone 2" is?

How can I prevent "Zone 2" from getting too hot?

Is there a way to permanently dismiss the alarm? It keeps coming back to
the front and claiming control of the UI.

Old January 1st 04, 02:53 PM
Roby

William G. Anderson wrote:

Wayne:

(snip)

To see where the temperature sensors are, download the Intel D865Perl
product specification on the Intel website - see page 42. There are
three temperature sensors - one in the CPU die, a second one "B", and
a third ambient temperature sensor located between the memory and the
CPU - I _think_ that the ambient temperature sensor is shown as Zone 2
- but there is nothing on the Intel website or technical documentation
to know for sure.

Try blowing a stream of cool air directly onto one of the sensors while
watching the indicated temperatures.

Roby
Old January 2nd 04, 10:32 AM
Spajky®

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:53:47 GMT, Roby wrote:

Try blowing a stream of cool air directly onto one of the sensors while
watching the indicated temperatures.

.... using a 5mm plastic tube ...

-- Regards, MERRY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Ghost speed differerent in AMD & Intel Zotin Khuma General 7 November 17th 04 06:56 AM
A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Motherboard advice needed DJS0302 General 3 January 11th 04 06:33 PM
WD360 + Intel 875PBZ + XP Problem @drian Homebuilt PC's 5 November 7th 03 03:26 PM