Q about updating BIOS

Old September 6th 04, 04:36 PM
David Simmons

Default Q about updating BIOS

Hey all!

First let me say a big thanks to those who've helped me learn more about my
new computer, specifically, what kind of CPU I had and how to get it running
a little faster. I'm still researching overclocking. Very interesting!
All the tweaking reminds me more than a little of car culture except, as
Weird Al sez: "It's all about the Pentiums (or AMD's)!"

Anyway, I need to upgrade my BIOS for my A7VX-X motherboard. I've never
done this, although I'm sure it'll be quite simple. The instructions on the
website are easy to follow. However, my concern is that I did make some
changes. I have an Athlon 2600+ Barton Model 10 that's now running at 1.92
Ghz after I manually set the FSB to 166. I'm assuming that the upgrade
won't affect this, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

David Simmons

Old September 6th 04, 05:18 PM
baskitcaise

David Simmons adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

Anyway, I need to upgrade my BIOS for my A7VX-X motherboard. I've
never
done this, although I'm sure it'll be quite simple. The instructions
on the
website are easy to follow. However, my concern is that I did make
some
changes. I have an Athlon 2600+ Barton Model 10 that's now running at
1.92
Ghz after I manually set the FSB to 166. I'm assuming that the
upgrade won't affect this, but I just want to be sure.

Word of warning, don`t flash your bios with the system over-clocked,
best to set everything back to default, flash, boot into bios reset
everything to default with the "default settings" option, then reboot
and tweak bios.

Reason being is that if there are newer features in the bios or older
ones have been removed it can really scr^w up.

Might seem a bit of a faff about but flashing your bios on an
over-clocked board can lead to tears and a couple of days wait till a
new bios chip is delivered.

Just my 2p worth ( also I speak from experience when I lost my epox
board with a flash when it was overclocked )

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!
Old September 6th 04, 05:35 PM
Augustus

Anyway, I need to upgrade my BIOS for my A7VX-X motherboard. I've never
done this, although I'm sure it'll be quite simple. The instructions on
the
website are easy to follow. However, my concern is that I did make some
changes. I have an Athlon 2600+ Barton Model 10 that's now running at
1.92
Ghz after I manually set the FSB to 166. I'm assuming that the upgrade
won't affect this, but I just want to be sure.

Just follow the instructions. Default settings for the Barton 2600 are
166Mhz FSB giving 1920Mhz. Don't know why you think you're overclocking by
manually setting the FSB at the default setting for this processor.

Old September 6th 04, 05:48 PM
John Smith

It probably will if you flash the bios as some reset to defaults
Its something i do anyway when flashing bios
Just note the settings in the bios before you flash it(fsb,multiplier,
voltages,mem settings etc) then re-enter them after flashing bios
166Mhz X 11.5

Smiffy

Old September 8th 04, 07:32 AM
David Simmons

Just follow the instructions. Default settings for the Barton 2600 are
166Mhz FSB giving 1920Mhz. Don't know why you think you're overclocking by
manually setting the FSB at the default setting for this processor.

The guy who built it for me had set the FSB to 133, so it was running at
1.52 Ghz instead.

Dave