Which Dell desktops ship with Windows XP Home Edition?

Old April 6th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Which Dell desktops ship with Windows XP Home Edition?

It seems like there are very few new systems now shipping with XP Home
Edition. It isn't even offered in the operating systems options of the
system configuration pages. Which models still ship with XP Home?

Old April 6th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Kevin" wrote in message
It seems like there are very few new systems now shipping with XP Home
Edition. It isn't even offered in the operating systems options of the
system configuration pages. Which models still ship with XP Home?

I would guess that it's because Microsoft will shortly be ending support for
XP home in favour of Vista, and that would make it difficult for Dell to
maintain its warranty commitments. Support for XP-Pro continues for a longer
period.

PDR

Old April 6th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Don't know what your definition of "shortly" is, but we're talking about 3
years. Vista's supposed to be out early 2007 (last I heard, and assuming
they make their deadline), and mainstream support for XP Home will end 2
years after that. As an FYI, that's the same cut-off scenario as XP MCE,
assuming that Vista has an MCE flavour.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...6&y=12&C2=1173

Clint

Old April 6th 06, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Clint" wrote in message
Don't know what your definition of "shortly" is, but we're talking about 3
years. Vista's supposed to be out early 2007 (last I heard, and assuming
they make their deadline), and mainstream support for XP Home will end 2
years after that. As an FYI, that's the same cut-off scenario as XP MCE,
assuming that Vista has an MCE flavour.

Fair enough - I misunderstood what I had read elsewhere. Apols for the
confusion.

PDR

Old April 6th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

AFAIK, they just changed it recently. I think the original statement was
one year, but they've modified that due to public pressure.

One thing that I think didn't change is that the seemingly current OS of
choice (MCE) is in the same boat as XP Home, since it's considered a
consumer product, as opposed to business. So there's really no reason why
a manufacturer would go with one over the other WRT to support from MS.
Again, I'm assuming that Vista will have an MCE flavor. If it's going to
take an extra year to the the MCE version out, then that should extend the
support for XP MCE by an extra year as well.

BTW, as far as the OP goes, I'd give them a phone call, and see if you can
configure things as you desire.

Clint

Old April 6th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Kevin" wrote:
It seems like there are very few new systems now shipping with XP Home
Edition. It isn't even offered in the operating systems options of the
system configuration pages. Which models still ship with XP Home?

All of the small business systems I've priced for clients in the last
couple of weeks have the option of XP Home or XP Pro. Maybe you need
to pick the drop-down arrow, or select a different base configuration?
Old April 6th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"William P.N. Smith" wrote in message
"Kevin" wrote:
It seems like there are very few new systems now shipping with XP Home
Edition. It isn't even offered in the operating systems options of the
system configuration pages. Which models still ship with XP Home?

All of the small business systems I've priced for clients in the last
couple of weeks have the option of XP Home or XP Pro. Maybe you need
to pick the drop-down arrow, or select a different base configuration?

I think it has as much to do with where Dell is targeting the hardware as
anything. If the machine has significant "multimedia" features, then it
appears they are throwing MCE on it with only an XP Pro option.

More standardized or "lesser" systems with 14.1" displays and no video
adapter options or lower-end processors (among some of the features) seem to
have the traditional XP Home or Pro option with no option for MCE....

jmo

Stew

Old April 6th 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Kevin" wrote in message
It seems like there are very few new systems now shipping with XP Home
Edition. It isn't even offered in the operating systems options of the
system configuration pages. Which models still ship with XP Home?

I believe you can get it if you call in your order rather than use the web.
It is certainly available on a lot of Outlet machines.

Why do you want Home instead of MCE?

Tom

Old April 6th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:57:22 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"William P.N. Smith" wrote in message
.. .
"Kevin" wrote:
It seems like there are very few new systems now shipping with XP Home
Edition. It isn't even offered in the operating systems options of the
system configuration pages. Which models still ship with XP Home?

All of the small business systems I've priced for clients in the last
couple of weeks have the option of XP Home or XP Pro. Maybe you need
to pick the drop-down arrow, or select a different base configuration?

I think it has as much to do with where Dell is targeting the hardware as
anything. If the machine has significant "multimedia" features, then it
appears they are throwing MCE on it with only an XP Pro option.

More standardized or "lesser" systems with 14.1" displays and no video
adapter options or lower-end processors (among some of the features) seem to
have the traditional XP Home or Pro option with no option for MCE....

I just received a 9150 a couple of weeks ago, not exactly a lesser
system, and XP Home was the standard OS.

Dick
Old April 6th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

"William P.N. Smith" wrote in message
. ..
"Kevin" wrote:
[...]

True enough and not meant to belittle your new machine. But if it had a TV
card in it and perhaps an SB Audigy, that option would've almost surely been
there.

Most of the XPS 400/600 machines (throttled up 9100 and 9150's, in effect)
come with MCE.

Mind you, I am speaking in broad generalizations, but.....

Stew