Thick Pci-e Graphics Cards

Old March 30th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Thick Pci-e Graphics Cards

I am thinking of building a new pc and have been looking at the x1800xt
graphics card (e.g. http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?
ProductID=11397 ). I would like the possibility of adding a second card at
a later date. The models i have seen come with an active cooling system
which blows air out the back of the machine. Is it possible to run two of
these cards in crossfire mode or would the cooling system block the second
Pci-e slot and/or allow enough air flow around the card?
If this is a problem which model/brand would you recomend.

Thanks,
Old March 30th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bobius" wrote in message
. 109.144...
I am thinking of building a new pc and have been looking at the x1800xt
graphics card (e.g. http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?
ProductID=11397 ). I would like the possibility of adding a second card at
a later date. The models i have seen come with an active cooling system
which blows air out the back of the machine. Is it possible to run two of
these cards in crossfire mode or would the cooling system block the second
Pci-e slot and/or allow enough air flow around the card?
If this is a problem which model/brand would you recomend.

Thanks,

Every crossfire motherboard I have seen has the two PCI-Express X16 slots
separated by at least one extra card width. So, running two double-width
video cards on those motherboards should be no problem.

HOWEVER, every crossfire motherboard I have seen has a PCI-Express X1 slot
next to a PCI-Express X16 slot, OR it has an ordinary PCI slot next to a
PCI-Express X16 slot.

So while you won't have a problem running two huge video cards, your other
expansion plans might be hampered a bit. That is, if your only PCI-Express
X1 slot is blocked by a video card cooler, you can't use that X1 slot for
anything. And a similar problem exists if you need 3 PCI slots and your
motherboard has just 3 PCI slots, ONE of which is blocked by a video card
cooler.

Still, with careful planning, these minor problems should be easily
avoidable. Most motherboards come with onboard LAN and onboard sound. Even
if you think the onboard sound sucks, you only need ONE PCI slot to correct
that situation. Theoretically, that will still leave you with another PCI
slot for something else, if you even need it. -Dave