AMD Athlon 64 3500 Reporting 990 MHz

Old November 24th 04, 02:38 AM
nikoli

Default AMD Athlon 64 3500 Reporting 990 MHz

Just did a BIOS update on my MSI K8T NEO FIR. Now XP is reporting a 990
MHz clockspeed. The MSI WMI utility tells me this much...

Name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
Max ClockSpeed : 2200 MHz
Current ClockSpeed : 990 MHz
External Clock : 200 MHz
Upgrade Method : undefined
L2 Cache Size : 512 Kb
Display Availability : Running/Full Power
PowerManagement Supported : false

So at least it knows it can be 2.2 GHz. It was working fine before. Is
there a setting in the BIOS that may have changed to slow the
clockspeed? I didn't change anything other than enabling the cool &
quiet feature. That certainly shouldn't slow the clockspeed.
Old November 24th 04, 10:40 AM
rjag

check your fsb speed for they always seem to default to the lowest setting
after flashing the BIOS or even resetting the BIOS.
HTH for I'm not familiar with your setup.

Robin

Old November 24th 04, 03:33 PM
Adam Webb

Just did a BIOS update on my MSI K8T NEO FIR. Now XP is reporting a 990
MHz clockspeed. The MSI WMI utility tells me this much...

Name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
Max ClockSpeed : 2200 MHz
Current ClockSpeed : 990 MHz

could also be because cool and quiet is enabled...this slows the CPU down if
you arnt using it.......

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com

---

Old November 24th 04, 04:51 PM
Moderately Confused

"Adam Webb" wrote in message
Just did a BIOS update on my MSI K8T NEO FIR. Now XP is reporting a 990
MHz clockspeed. The MSI WMI utility tells me this much...

Name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
Max ClockSpeed : 2200 MHz
Current ClockSpeed : 990 MHz

could also be because cool and quiet is enabled...this slows the CPU down

if
you arnt using it.......

Also, don't even bother with the Windows reported speed, because for a
while, it was reporting my P4 2.8Ghz CPU at 37Ghz. Get something like CPUZ,
and it'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

MC

Old November 24th 04, 06:52 PM
nikoli

apparently the cool & quiet feature drops the clock speed when the cpu
is idle... wish the manual would've been more clear on that!