OpenGL 2.0 and ATI cards

Old September 17th 04, 07:47 AM
Larry Roberts

Default OpenGL 2.0 and ATI cards

I'm looking to get either an ATI 9600XT, or Nvidia 5700 Ultra.
Looking at Newegg, it shows that some of the 9600XT cards as being
OpenGL 2.0 supported, while the 5700 Ultra only supports OpenGL 1.5.
OpenGL 2.0 was just released on the 7th of Sept. I am wanting to know
if Newegg's description is accurate?
Old September 17th 04, 08:07 AM
wired and confused

Its up to what the drivers support for that hardware and if hardware can
support it then u need to find the driver that has 2.0 open gl . I had a
ti4600 and wanted to play it in 1.3 opengl i had to use and older driver
that had the opengl1.3 driver so my game would run if a game is 2.0
noproblems ... Newer games will support the api and current drivers for ati
support 2.0 . Go with a ati 9800 pro . Nvidia cards dont support 2.0 I dont
think read the drivers on there site it will say it go to driver info to
find out what that driver supports.
news

Old September 17th 04, 12:38 PM
J. Clarke

Larry Roberts wrote:

I'm looking to get either an ATI 9600XT, or Nvidia 5700 Ultra.
Looking at Newegg, it shows that some of the 9600XT cards as being
OpenGL 2.0 supported, while the 5700 Ultra only supports OpenGL 1.5.
OpenGL 2.0 was just released on the 7th of Sept. I am wanting to know
if Newegg's description is accurate?

Might be, but if so, it's a marketing strategy by ATI to try to show that
their boards are "better" than nvidia's for OpenGL, which they are not.
Even their workstation boards, that are optimized for it, don't work all
that well.

Note that I'm not an nvidia fan, most of my video boards are ATI, but one
buys hardware to suit one's purpose, and if one's purpose is to run OpenGL,
then ATI is not the best choice.

Be nice if ATI finally got their act together in that regard, but unless the
Catalyst 4.9 drivers represent a radical improvement in their OpenGL
support, they haven't yet, and given that the only OpenGL app I try to use
hung the machine on open with them, I don't think that they have with the
4.9s either.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old September 17th 04, 04:46 PM
Gareee©

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Larry Roberts wrote:

Be nice if ATI finally got their act together in that regard, but unless
the
Catalyst 4.9 drivers represent a radical improvement in their OpenGL
support, they haven't yet, and given that the only OpenGL app I try to use
hung the machine on open with them, I don't think that they have with the
4.9s either.

I run Lightwave 3d with opengl, Daz Studio with opengl, and ue with opengl
with no problems at all...

on a ATI 9600xt AIW

Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage: