Is Dell serious about business? The opposite seems to be true.

Old March 2nd 09, 03:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
AndyHancock

Default Is Dell serious about business? The opposite seems to be true.

After reviewing Consumer Reports, I went to the Dell site to order a
laptop. No options but glossy display, and only Vista. Tried chat
and phone, but they're closed (phone icon says 8am-9pm, but
apparently, not). Swum around the site in a few circles trying to
find an email address, which seemed highly abnormal in its
elusiveness. Finally found a webmail form. Filled in the many
mandatory details (most of which only makes sense for post-sales) and
got repeatedly asked for a correct address.

I took stock of the time spent at the Dell site. The result was an
overwhelming sense of futility in dealing with a vendor in this
manner. Spending the evening swimming around a site designed to
confound the visitor and not getting beyond square one is a bad sign,
especially if this is only indicative of presales behaviour. The
debacle with the user group forum drives the nail into the coffin.
Old March 2nd 09, 03:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"AndyHancock" wrote in message

snip

And yet you wind up here, which is where you should've asked about your
choices in the first place.

Ask the questions. People here got game.

Old March 2nd 09, 01:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:01:47 -0800 (PST), AndyHancock
wrote:

[...]

I don't understand you. If your experience is that bad, why bother
with Dell? Can't you buy another brand? I think what Consumer Report
says is irrelevant if your experience is so different.
Old March 3rd 09, 05:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
AndyHancock

wrote:
[...]

Consumer Reports does not evaluate the website. As for buying another
brand, I am weighing options. The Dell laptop is apparently a good
one, and I'm weighing that against the tremendous headache in
interacting with the vendor. Trying to divine how much of that one
will be subjected to after taking ownership of their product. Make no
mistake, this usenet group can make up for a lot (especially on the
technical front, in the face of a dysfunctional vendor hosted forum),
but it cannot substitute for dealing with the vendor.
Old March 2nd 09, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry A

[...]

I just came to the same opinion about the web site.I need a new laptop 15-17
inch screen. 2 must haves is a backlighted keyboard and the vista down
grade $50..
to xp pro. It seams like one or the other but NOT both. What kind of crap
is that??

Larry A

Old March 2nd 09, 08:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Larry A" ss563 no spam @ymail.com wrote in message

[...]

Your requirements mean you can go only with either Vostro or Latitude lines.
And I'm nearly positive the Vostro has a backlighted keyboard. Not sure
about the Latitude.

HTH

Old March 3rd 09, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

afik, backlit keyboards on laptops with a 15"+ lcd and pre-loaded with xp
are...
precision m6400 (17"),
xps 1730 (17"),
xps 16 (16"),
and a backlit keyboard is optional on the latitude e6500 (15.4").

Old March 3rd 09, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

there are indeed other models with backlit keyboards, but like the studio 13
they are not 15" or larger....

Old March 3rd 09, 12:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, March 02, 2009 11:36 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Is Dell serious about business? The opposite seems to be
true.
Subject: Is Dell serious about business? The opposite seems to be
true.

[...]

Which store are you looking in? Look in small business. Make sure you
choose either Vista Business or Vista Ultimate. They're the only
versions eligible for downgrade.