768MB PC3200 in an nForce2 mobo - is it worth it?

Old December 4th 03, 06:13 AM
Jorge Stephenson

Default 768MB PC3200 in an nForce2 mobo - is it worth it?

I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want
to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or 3
x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but
would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would I
take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in
full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)? Would I notice the hit? Is there a
hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?
Old December 4th 03, 06:53 AM
IC

"Jorge Stephenson" wrote in message
I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want
to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or 3
x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but
would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would I
take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in
full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)? Would I notice the hit? Is there a
hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?

There's no "hit" using two or three dimm slots. Populate it any way you
like.

Old December 4th 03, 07:21 AM
Strontium

-
IC stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

"Jorge Stephenson" wrote in message
I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want
to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or
3 x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but
would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would
I take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in
full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)? Would I notice the hit? Is there
a hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?

There's no "hit" using two or three dimm slots. Populate it any way
you like.

Yes, there is a 'hit'. However, it's significance is debateable.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 4th 03, 08:19 AM
~misfit~

Jorge Stephenson wrote:
I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want
to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or 3
x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but
would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would I
take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in
full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)? Would I notice the hit? Is there a
hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?

So you're currently running 256MB? Or two 256MB in dual-channel mode? If the
latter then move them to slots 1 and 2 and put a 512MB module of similar (or
greater) speed in slot 3. You'll still be running dual-channel. If you only
have one stick of 256 then buy another and a 512 and do it that way. As long
as the channels (Channel 1 = slots 1 & 2, Channel 2 = slot 3) contain the
same amount of RAM it will run in dual mode, at the speed of the slowest
module.

(I have the same board, it's good.)
--
~misfit~

---

Old December 4th 03, 08:49 AM
Ben Pope

Jorge Stephenson wrote:
I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want
to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or 3
x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but
would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would I
take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in
full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)?Would I notice the hit?

I doubt you'd notice without benchmarking the memory bandwidth, even then
it'd be around the 1% mark.

Is there a hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?

I'm not quite sure how the dual channel works, but at worst the lower 512MB
would be dual channel and the upper 256 would not.

Ben

Old December 4th 03, 12:55 PM
neopolaris

Strontium wrote:
-
IC stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

"Jorge Stephenson" wrote in message
I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want
to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or
3 x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but
would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would
I take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in
full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)? Would I notice the hit? Is there
a hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?

There's no "hit" using two or three dimm slots. Populate it any way
you like.

Yes, there is a 'hit'. However, it's significance is debateable.

AND, only debateable if using onboard graphics. In short it's not enough to
worry about. It's as important as fast writes or AGP4x,8x...It's navel
lint.