New mobo - comp still won't boot

Old July 5th 03, 06:45 PM
Cyde Weys

Default New mobo - comp still won't boot

The computer isn't much better than last time. I'm running an Asus
A7V8X-X mobo. As soon as I flip the power switch on the ATX PS, the
whole thing turns on (fans start spinning, etc.), which is bad, because
usually the computer waits for me to press the power switch before
turning on. I've reseated the mobo, re-checking the metal stand-offs.
Those are fine. I've reseated the CPU, heatsink, video card, and
memory. Still, nothing at all happens - it doesn't post, and it never
sends a signal to the monitor. I know the CPU works, and the RAM and
mobo are both new. Any clue as to why this computer won't boot at all?
Why it doesn't even recognize the power switch and just goes full-on
immediately? Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Usenet is a strange reality where you see people beating up a patch of
grass where nine years ago there used to be a horse. -Nuke

Old July 6th 03, 02:49 AM
kony

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:45:04 GMT, Cyde Weys
wrote:

The computer isn't much better than last time. I'm running an Asus
A7V8X-X mobo. As soon as I flip the power switch on the ATX PS, the
whole thing turns on (fans start spinning, etc.), which is bad, because
usually the computer waits for me to press the power switch before
turning on. I've reseated the mobo, re-checking the metal stand-offs.
Those are fine. I've reseated the CPU, heatsink, video card, and
memory. Still, nothing at all happens - it doesn't post, and it never
sends a signal to the monitor. I know the CPU works, and the RAM and
mobo are both new. Any clue as to why this computer won't boot at all?
Why it doesn't even recognize the power switch and just goes full-on
immediately? Thanks in advance for the help.

After you flip the PSU's switch and it immediately turns on, does the
bezel soft-on switch allow turning the system off if held in for 0-4
seconds? Have you tried that yet or do you keep turning it on and
off by the PSU switch?

Have you tried removing all components non-essential to POST, leaving
only the CPU, heatsink fan, one memory module, video card, and soft-on
bezel switch? This also means unplugging all other bezel LEDs/reset
switch/etc. Also try resetting the CMOS, double-checking all jumpers.

Are you sure the power supply is adequate? What make/model/capapcity
incl. combined 3V + 5V capacity ? An itemized list of all the
systems major components might help if it's possible this is
power-supply related.

Dave

Old July 6th 03, 02:23 PM
Li'l ol' me

wrote:

[...]

I have the EXACTLY same problem with a couple of untested boards I've
bought. The test rig I've got works fine with other socket As I've tried,
so there's no reason to suspect PSU problems. And in my case, there is no
way to turn the machine off other than at the mains (painful!) as there's no
PSU switch.

BTW when I said 'case' I didn't mean THE case! I test all my stuff outside
of cases after I once found a mobo that would only power on when the mobo
was not installed inside the case.

Old July 7th 03, 03:23 AM
CK

The computer isn't much better than last time. I'm running an Asus
A7V8X-X mobo. As soon as I flip the power switch on the ATX PS, the
whole thing turns on (fans start spinning, etc.), which is bad, because
usually the computer waits for me to press the power switch before
turning on. I've reseated the mobo, re-checking the metal stand-offs.
Those are fine. I've reseated the CPU, heatsink, video card, and
memory. Still, nothing at all happens - it doesn't post, and it never
sends a signal to the monitor. I know the CPU works, and the RAM and
mobo are both new. Any clue as to why this computer won't boot at all?
Why it doesn't even recognize the power switch and just goes full-on
immediately? Thanks in advance for the help.

I take it that you've tried the suggestion given in a reply to your previous
post of reversing the cable from the power button on the case to the
motherboard? As was pointed out, if this is the wrong way round the
motherboard thinks that you're holding the power button in continuously - so
when you turn the power on at the PSU it comes on immediately, and then,
because you've (apparently) been holding the button in for five seconds it
goes into the soft-off option, and turns off.

For reference, the other common problem from having those cables the wrong
way round is the reset cable being reversed - so the computer constantly
resets and so (obviously) won't POST. Sometimes a tricky one to diagnose -
unless you happen to think of it...

Old July 7th 03, 07:48 PM
Cyde Weys

wrote:

[...]

The switches seem to have no effect whatsoever, no matter which way
they're plugged in.

Have you tried removing all components non-essential to POST, leaving
only the CPU, heatsink fan, one memory module, video card, and soft-on
bezel switch? This also means unplugging all other bezel LEDs/reset
switch/etc. Also try resetting the CMOS, double-checking all jumpers.

I've removed the mobo from the case and tried it that way -- still
doesn't work. I was using a minimum of system components too - RAM,
CPU, mem, power switch, PS. The only conclusion I could possibly come
to is that my mobo is DOA - I'm returning it to the store tomorrow.

Are you sure the power supply is adequate? What make/model/capapcity
incl. combined 3V + 5V capacity ? An itemized list of all the
systems major components might help if it's possible this is
power-supply related.

I really don't think it's power supply related. I'm running a 450watt
ATX power supply which should definitely be sufficient for an
ATX-compliant Asus mobo.

Old July 7th 03, 07:49 PM
Cyde Weys

CK wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I've tried reversing the orientation of the power switch - no go.
Same for the reset switch.

For reference, the other common problem from having those cables the wrong
way round is the reset cable being reversed - so the computer constantly
resets and so (obviously) won't POST. Sometimes a tricky one to diagnose -
unless you happen to think of it...

I think the mobo is dead ...

--
Usenet is a strange reality where you see people beating up a patch of
grass where nine years ago there used to be a horse. -Nuke

Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM
Computer won't boot with 2000+ Athlon, 2100+ Athlon works just fine Cyde Weys General 4 July 3rd 03 12:16 PM
Mobo type?? kony General 3 July 1st 03 04:15 PM
Help! Notebook Won't Boot °Mike° General 1 June 27th 03 12:13 AM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM