Q: TUSL2-C AGP acceptance and Harddisk max-size

Old November 29th 07, 12:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Torben Birk

Default Q: TUSL2-C AGP acceptance and Harddisk max-size

Hi

Q1:

Can anyone tell me if the TUSL2-C mobo accepts AGP X8 cards? is it
physically possible? will the AGP card operate in X4 mode?

I was thinking of this videocard:
http://www.inno3d.com/products/graph...agp/7600gs.htm

or should I settle with this (much cheaper);
http://www.asus.com/products/vga/a9250td/overview.htm

Q2:

Anyone know if the TUSL2-C mobo can "see" and accept harddisk bigger than
120GB. And does it take UDMA/133 ?

Thanks all,

Torben Birk

Old November 29th 07, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Torben Birk

Default TUSL2-C AGP acceptance and Harddisk max-size

Forgot to mention that the BIOS revision is as far as I know is the latest:
ASUS TUSL2-C ACPI BIOS Revision 1012.
(BIOS ID=05/10/2002-I815EP-TUSL2-C)
And the chipset is: Intel 1130 rev 4

Regards

Torben Birk

Old November 29th 07, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Egil Solberg

Torben Birk wrote:
Forgot to mention that the BIOS revision is as far as I know is the
latest: ASUS TUSL2-C ACPI BIOS Revision 1012.
(BIOS ID=05/10/2002-I815EP-TUSL2-C)
And the chipset is: Intel 1130 rev 4

AGP compatibility:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

The mobo has "universal AGP". The AGP8x card will work. I don't believe
there exists something like an "AGP 3.0 card" that can only signal at 0,8V

The 1012 BIOS gives 48bit LBA. Disks larger than 128GB will work. Latest
BIOS is 1014.001 beta.
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...&model=TUSL2-C

Old November 29th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Egil Solberg

Egil Solberg wrote:

The mobo has "universal AGP". The AGP8x card will work. I don't
believe there exists something like an "AGP 3.0 card" that can only
signal at 0,8V

Yes, AGP4x is all you will see. Makes absolutely no difference with that
mobo and CPU possible.

Old November 29th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Torben Birk

Hi Eigil

Thanks for the answers

Regarding question about disk size - as you say that the TUSL2-C mobo can
recognize disks larger than 128GB - then how much larger than 128GB? - say
250 or even 400GB? . Did you pr chance come across some documentation. And
isn't it correct that bigger disks needs more adressing hence "eat" more
memory.

Regards

Torben Birk

Old November 29th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Egil Solberg

Torben Birk wrote:
Hi Eigil

Thanks for the answers

Regarding question about disk size - as you say that the TUSL2-C mobo
can recognize disks larger than 128GB - then how much larger than
128GB? - say 250 or even 400GB? . Did you pr chance come across some
documentation. And isn't it correct that bigger disks needs more
adressing hence "eat" more memory.

48bit LBA adressing leaves enough headroom for bigger disks than exists
today. No documentation other than "bios history" at Asus stating 48bit
support from bios 1012.

There will not be any memory issue considering big disks.

Old November 29th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Torben Birk

Hi Egil

What about UDMA/100 or UDMA/133. Do I have to considder the UDMA-issue
specified for harddisk? Or is it just anyting goes!?
And what about 40 or 80 pin cables? Some disk are 40 and other are 80 pins.
The IDE-connector on the motherboard have 40 (39) connecting pins. The
TUSL2-C manual says "UltraDMA/100 IDE devices must use a 40-pin 80 conductor
IDE cable for 100MBytes/sec transfer rates". I'm a bit confused here...

Old November 29th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Egil Solberg

Torben Birk wrote:
Hi Egil

What about UDMA/100 or UDMA/133. Do I have to considder the UDMA-issue
specified for harddisk? Or is it just anyting goes!?
And what about 40 or 80 pin cables? Some disk are 40 and other are 80
pins. The IDE-connector on the motherboard have 40 (39) connecting
pins. The TUSL2-C manual says "UltraDMA/100 IDE devices must use a
40-pin 80 conductor IDE cable for 100MBytes/sec transfer rates". I'm
a bit confused here...

Regards

Torben Birk

ATA100 vs ATA133 is not an issue. System will configure itself appropriatly.

Use a 40pin , 80 wire cable. The extra 40 wires are for shielding, they are
neither connected to disk nor IDE-connector. You will easily spot the
difference between a 40wire and an 80 wire cable.
This cable is necessary for enabling transfers faster than UDMA2 (ATA33). If
you use an old style cable, speed will be ATA33 (max 33MB/s).

Old November 29th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Torben Birk

Hi Egil

Thanks so far for all the good answers :-)

Old November 30th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh interweb Egil Solberg typed:
Torben Birk wrote:
[...]

Actually Egli, 80 wire is needed for speeds faster than ATA*66*, not ATA33.

Just being picky. :-)
--
TTFN,

Shaun.