HP printer vs. ink cost??????

Old June 16th 04, 04:50 AM
JohnQPublic

Default HP printer vs. ink cost??????

My son has a HP 3520 printer that I gave to him. I had to buy a hp printer
when I bought my computer for a rebate type of thing so I bought the
cheapest printer they had, paid $39.99. Prints okay for what he uses it for,
stupid crap, he's 13. He needs new cartridges for it. $22.00 for color
cartridge - 18.00 for Black and White. Am I missing something? 22 +18= 40.
Thats the same I paid for the whole printer that came with 2 cartridges, a
nice big box, paper sampler, instruction manual, 1 year warranty, etc....
And for some reason, the generic cartridges are only about 2 dollars cheaper
if you can find them. Now doesn't it make more sense to just buy a whole
new printer and toss the old one out?

Bob
owner of an Epson with $3.00 B&W- $4.00 Color cartridges ;-)

Old June 16th 04, 06:52 AM
David Hicks

A " PC World" guy told me that HP only half fill their cartridges taht are supplied with new printers.

I have asked Hp to confirm this, but surprise surprise -- no reply. They answer the other questions on my list, but I assume they have chosen to ignore this one

I can only conclude that thier silence confirms assent

BTW $40 for cartridges is cheap, here in rip off UK it's about £40

David
HP 2500C, & Office jets 6110, 4110, 710

DAVID HICKS ASSOCIATES LIMITED
Industrial Roofing & Cladding Consultants
Tel 01296 719775 Fax 01296 339073 Mobile 07980 432848
Visit our web site http://www.roofconsultant.fsnet.co.uk

Please note whilst ever effort is taken to ensure that emails issued from this company are virus free,
it is the recipient's responsibility to check them before opening.
This company will not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage of data howsoever caused

Old June 16th 04, 06:30 PM
Jerry G.

The new printers come with cartridges that are filled to less than 1/2. They
actually give the printer away. You are paying only for the cartridges.

This is the same for any of the printers you buy. If you want to print, you
need cartridges... Anyways... $40 is not the end of the world for the kid
to have some fun. It is better for him to be printing his stuff, rather than
running around outside doing things you would never know about!

--

Jerry G.
=====

Old June 16th 04, 07:44 PM
David Hicks

Dear Charlie

Your tact and diplomacy are a long way short of adequate. Thankfully not
all users of the net take such social writings as seriously as you deem them
of worth. Irrespective of this there is no reason to be so impolite in
your communications, such action is inexcusable.

For your info, I don't buy cartridges at all, all my printers are fed from
resivoir bottles. much much cheaper, but not really an option for domestic
useage, especially a 13 year old i would suggest.

I trust now that perhaps you will restrict your comments to the item
concerned instead of trying to inflame, inter alia, pointless arguemnts.

Anyway, you may reply how you wish to this response as I only called in to
ask one question, that now being resolved I have no further use for it and
will now unsubscribe

Good bye

David

Old June 16th 04, 10:01 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

JohnQPublic wrote:
My son has a HP 3520 printer that I gave to him. I had to buy a hp
printer when I bought my computer for a rebate type of thing so I
bought the cheapest printer they had, paid $39.99. Prints okay for
what he uses it for, stupid crap, he's 13. He needs new cartridges
for it. $22.00 for color cartridge - 18.00 for Black and White. Am
I missing something? 22 +18= 40. Thats the same I paid for the whole
printer that came with 2 cartridges, a nice big box, paper sampler,
instruction manual, 1 year warranty, etc.... And for some reason, the
generic cartridges are only about 2 dollars cheaper if you can find
them. Now doesn't it make more sense to just buy a whole new printer
and toss the old one out?

Bob
owner of an Epson with $3.00 B&W- $4.00 Color cartridges ;-)

First Law of Printers

The cost of the printer is inversely proportional to the cost of the
cartridges. IOW, the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the tanks. My
printer cost £500, I pay £3 a cartridge (£24 per set). My sister (who
wouldn't listen to me and is now regretting it) paid £40 for her printer and
her cartridges cost £50 a set! Printer manufacturers make nothing on the
units, they claw it all back in consumables. The 3520 is £30 over here and
the black is £12 and the colour £14, only £4 cheaper than a new unit.

Generally, the more you spend on the printer, the less you will spend on
cartridges (unless you're unlucky and have a model that drinks the stuff!)

Old June 17th 04, 02:18 AM
George E. Cawthon

Always? Not true. My 970 came with regular cartridges.

Charlie+ wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:52:25 +0100, "David Hicks"
wrote as underneath my scribble :

What planet have you been on?!
HP always supply special low ink cartridges (with different catalogue
numbers) with their new printers. Their money is made on the
cartridges, the printer is the hook - so the sooner you run out and go
buy their nice cartridges the better!! HP's whole printer policy is
to get you to buy cartridges and the more the better..you will notice
that the newer and cheaper the HP printer the smaller the ink capacity
of each cartridge!
Charlie+

A " PC World" guy told me that HP only half fill their cartridges taht are supplied with new printers.

snipped 160 lines of of junk including HTML which you shouldnt be
posting in newsgroups.

Old June 17th 04, 07:15 AM
D.T

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:01:56 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

JohnQPublic wrote:
[...]

I had one of those printers and it died just before the warranty ran
out. I bought a 3550 for less than the cost of a new set of
cartridges. I was then advised to get a replacement under warranty,
which I did. I gave this to my son and wife, and as I refill
cartridges I will keep his and mine running with refills

DT
Old June 17th 04, 09:25 PM
Bob Headrick

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:52:25 +0100, "David Hicks"
wrote as underneath my scribble :

What planet have you been on?!
HP always supply special low ink cartridges (with different catalogue
numbers) with their new printers.

The above statement is completely false.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Old June 18th 04, 04:17 PM
Bob Headrick

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:25:38 -0700, "Bob Headrick"
wrote as underneath my scribble :

Apologies Bob, my fault for a too embracing a statement! I should
have confined it to all the HP printers in the past that I have had
anything to do with the purchase of!

I do not believe that *any* current HP inkjet printers ship with starter
cartridges.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Old June 19th 04, 01:48 AM
Hecate

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:17:38 -0700, "Bob Headrick"
wrote:

"Charlie+" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:25:38 -0700, "Bob Headrick"
wrote as underneath my scribble :

Apologies Bob, my fault for a too embracing a statement! I should
have confined it to all the HP printers in the past that I have had
anything to do with the purchase of!

I do not believe that *any* current HP inkjet printers ship with starter
cartridges.

That's interesting, because they always used to and the manual, such
as it was told you so.

--

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui