MSI FX5200 128 crash

Old July 20th 03, 01:56 AM
Dragon

Default MSI FX5200 128 crash

This may have been posted before but I'm new to Nvidia so here goes.Just installed an MSI FX5200 128meg in an Amd 1.5 ghz machine with WinXP home sp1 and 384 ram.Used the MSI drivers on the installation cd for Win XP/2k. DON'T!! Go to the Nvidia home page and get the certified drivers 44.03.The MSI drivers had the system locking up and then giving a hardware crash about every 4 minutes of run time.Plus the quality of the video during those four minutes was worse than when I had the old ATI Rage Fury Maxx in and its not even supported under XP.Those MSI drivers are just nasty.Popped in the certified Nvidia version and the card is beginning to live up to is potential.Please check your drivers under XP for signing.It will save you a lot of grief.
And thanks to everyone who has posted messages here,they were a great help in picking a card to suit my needs.And to get it to actually work.Thank you all.

---
Old July 20th 03, 02:23 AM
Eddie

"Dragon" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, I had sim probs with drivers from nVidia site, used the MSI and things cleared up....for now...

Eddie
Old July 20th 03, 10:44 PM
Eddie

Yes, I had sim probs with drivers from nVidia site, used the MSI and

things
cleared up....for now...

Eddie

---

Did you use the MSI XP drivers or the Win98 version? The MSI installer

wated
to put the 98 version drivers in but I was stupid and opted for their
XPs.Crrrrashhhh.Just wondered if the 98s would have been a better
idea,course I'm not going to roll back now,it ain't broked no more.

I used the Win9x/Me drivers

Eddie

Old July 21st 03, 02:30 PM
Eddie

Eddie

Maybe I'll try them under XP.Now i'm getting explorer crashes with the
Nvidia drivers.
Are you running 9x/Me or Xp/NT?

---

I'm running ME

Eddie

Old July 21st 03, 09:21 PM
Dragon

"Eddie" wrote in message
. au...
Eddie

Maybe I'll try them under XP.Now i'm getting explorer crashes with the
Nvidia drivers.
Are you running 9x/Me or Xp/NT?

---

I'm running ME

Eddie

The MSI install disc wanted to put the 9x/ME drivers in but I bumped it up
to the XP drivers.Several programs have set my machine as an ME when its XP
sp1 so I wondered if the installer was right when the crashes started but
the pure Nvidia drivers seem to be working well.The board is not the fastest
thing on the planet but its doing everything I call on it for.Have you found
the upgrade to be worth the price? Or do you wish you had opted for a higher
end more expensive card? BTW the explorer crashes were caused by
.....drumroll...explorer.Go figure.

---

Old July 21st 03, 11:17 PM
Eddie

"Dragon" wrote in message

"Eddie" wrote in message
. au...
Eddie

The MSI install disc wanted to put the 9x/ME drivers in but I bumped it up
to the XP drivers.Several programs have set my machine as an ME when its

XP
sp1 so I wondered if the installer was right when the crashes started but
the pure Nvidia drivers seem to be working well.The board is not the

fastest
thing on the planet but its doing everything I call on it for.Have you

found
the upgrade to be worth the price? Or do you wish you had opted for a

higher
end more expensive card? BTW the explorer crashes were caused by
....drumroll...explorer.Go figure.

As I'm not really into gaming its fine. Video on DVD's is fast and smooth.
But, I'm still wondering whether I should have gone for a Radeon. FX5900
would be better but can't afford it. 5600 Ultra was not available. But
having changed from my old Soletek, with Intel 1Ghz CPU and GFMX Vid, I have
seen a huge increase in performance. The board will get better for gamers
when DX9 is inlcuded in programming. But like you, it does all I require.

Eddie

Old July 21st 03, 11:38 PM
Dragon

"Eddie" wrote in message
. au...

"Dragon" wrote in message

"Eddie" wrote in message
[...]

I looked at ATI cards but in the price range ($100 to $150 Cad) the Radeon
9200 had second best specs to the FX5200. If I had the dollars to burn a top
o' the line ATI would be my first up,but like you gaming is not a prime
thing.
Went from 8 meg onboard to 64mg Rage Fury Maxx which was quick and nimble
but no driver support from ATI for XP so crashes were many and other
software was taken down.(Bye-bye Roxio 5).So the 5200 is a huge increase in
performance here also. But do you ever think "Now if I just had a better
monitor...".

---