scanners and dust

Old August 12th 06, 05:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Falco98

Default scanners and dust

Ok, I have a scanner I'm pretty happy with overall (canon 8400F).. it's
been a few weeks (maybe a few months) since i've used it, and just now I
notice there are a few pieces of dust INSIDE the scan bed glass. Of
course I haven't taken it apart or anything (one would figure they'd
take greater steps to prevent this). My main question is: what, if
anything, can be done about this?

Also, what have people found to be the best normal method by which to
remove dust from the top of the glass? Any cloths / tissues I've tried
usually deposit back more dust or fiber than they were employed to
remove in the first place... I'm thinking of trying swiffer cloths or
something, but i'd worry perhaps that something like that might have
undesired effects (i.e. a residue or something).

Thanks for any thoughts...
~Mike
Old August 12th 06, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Falco98 wrote:

Ok, I have a scanner I'm pretty happy with overall (canon 8400F)..
it's been a few weeks (maybe a few months) since i've used it, and
just now I notice there are a few pieces of dust INSIDE the scan bed
glass. Of course I haven't taken it apart or anything (one would
figure they'd take greater steps to prevent this). My main question is: what, if
anything, can be done about this?

Get rid of the dust by opening it, work out where its getting
in and use duct tape to stop anymore getting in that way.

Also, what have people found to be the best normal method by which to remove dust from
the top of the glass?

I use a large unused painbrush myself, for that and CRT monitors.

Any cloths / tissues I've tried usually deposit back more dust or fiber than they were
employed to remove in the first place...

You're sposed to use a lint free cloth for that reason.

I use a T shirt in that situation.

You can also use a damp cloth to solve the 'more dust or fiber' problem.

I'm thinking of trying swiffer cloths or something, but i'd worry perhaps that something
like that might have undesired effects (i.e. a residue or something).

Yeah, could be a problem.

Old August 12th 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ScottL

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...
Falco98 wrote:

Ok, I have a scanner I'm pretty happy with overall (canon 8400F)..
it's been a few weeks (maybe a few months) since i've used it, and
just now I notice there are a few pieces of dust INSIDE the scan bed
glass. Of course I haven't taken it apart or anything (one would
figure they'd take greater steps to prevent this). My main question is: what, if
anything, can be done about this?

Get rid of the dust by opening it, work out where its getting
in and use duct tape to stop anymore getting in that way.

Also, what have people found to be the best normal method by which to remove dust from
the top of the glass?

I use a hand towel, one end very slightly dampened with water.
Then I turn it around and use the dry end to buff the glass. This
method doesn't work well with new towels (may have lint), or
towels that have been treated with fabric softener.

Colors degradation over years: materials deterioration or dust gathering? Arie Kazachin Scanners 2 July 28th 04 08:44 AM
Digital ICE scanning software? Paula SIms Scanners 20 February 28th 04 08:06 AM
microtek 4800 and dust Sar. Scanners 1 September 28th 03 08:24 AM
flatbed slide scans vs digital cameras Paul Gilsdorf Scanners 3 September 20th 03 06:26 AM