Close lid shutdown ??

Old January 7th 09, 02:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry[_9_]

Default Close lid shutdown ??

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, came installed with Vista... I removed Vista,
and installed WinXP Pro.. Went to the Dell site and downloaded all necessary
drivers.
No problems, except under Power Options, Advanced, Close lid there is only
three (3) choices:
Do Nothing/Standby/Hibernate...Any reason why Shutdown isn't included ?
Thanks in advance
Barry/Austex

Old January 7th 09, 02:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Barry typed on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:02:59 -0600:
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, came installed with Vista... I removed
Vista, and installed WinXP Pro.. Went to the Dell site and downloaded
all necessary drivers.
No problems, except under Power Options, Advanced, Close lid there is
only three (3) choices:
Do Nothing/Standby/Hibernate...Any reason why Shutdown isn't included
? Thanks in advance
Barry/Austex

Seven of my laptops run Windows XP SP2. And all of them have no shut down
option when you close the lid. So it seems perfectly normal to me.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old January 7th 09, 04:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ps56k

Barry wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, came installed with Vista... I removed
Vista, and installed WinXP Pro.. Went to the Dell site and downloaded
all necessary drivers.
No problems, except under Power Options, Advanced, Close lid there is
only three (3) choices:
Do Nothing/Standby/Hibernate...Any reason why Shutdown isn't included
? Thanks in advance
Barry/Austex

seems logical -
I have all my laptops - do nothing.... carry it while still running
Netstumbler
then again - quick "temp" shutdown using - stand/hiber

but a "full shutdown" when closing the lid vs the Start - Turn Off -
Shutdown
seems like a safety....

you close lid to reach around for something,
and you have now activated shutdown and didn't really want to -
loosing any active work - with no restart like with Standby or Hiber

Old January 7th 09, 06:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry[_9_]

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
Barry typed on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:02:59 -0600:
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, came installed with Vista... I removed
Vista, and installed WinXP Pro.. Went to the Dell site and downloaded
all necessary drivers.
No problems, except under Power Options, Advanced, Close lid there is
only three (3) choices:
Do Nothing/Standby/Hibernate...Any reason why Shutdown isn't included
? Thanks in advance
Barry/Austex

Seven of my laptops run Windows XP SP2. And all of them have no shut down
option when you close the lid. So it seems perfectly normal to me.

Makes sense to me, but was just wondering, because it had a shutdown while
Vista was installed.. Guess XP
with SP 3 doesn't have it...
Thanks again
Barry/Austex