Where do all the cycles go ?

Old June 5th 08, 06:25 PM
tecktalk tecktalk is offline
Junior Member

Default Where do all the cycles go ?

I have XP Home, all the current patches. After the system has been up for abt
20 minutes, something kicks off that sucks up all the cycles for about 3
minutes, bringing the machine to a crawl. Task Manager shows Idle at abt 90%,
with a couple of other tasks flashing in & out. After about 3 minutes, the
machine returns to normal. How do I nail which task or process is chewing up
all the cycles ?
Old June 5th 08, 07:52 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Pupkov

--
tecktalk

Same thing is with one of the PC's I am working with. In our case it is
antivirus, which is not shown in the task manager list. I bet you have same
problem.
Alex.

Old June 6th 08, 11:44 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
DaveW[_5_]

While it is misbehaving, press CNTRL-Alt-Del. that will bring up the
Windows Task Manager. Select the PROCESSES tab, and scroll down the CPU
column looking for a Process that is using a large percentage of CPU cycles.

--
--DaveW

Old June 19th 08, 07:40 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

DaveW wrote:
While it is misbehaving, press CNTRL-Alt-Del. that will bring up the
Windows Task Manager. Select the PROCESSES tab, and scroll down the CPU
column looking for a Process that is using a large percentage of CPU cycles.

I think the OP mentioned that he's using Task Manager and he sees
nothing is wrong.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 19th 08, 07:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

tecktalk wrote:
I have XP Home, all the current patches. After the system has been up
for abt
20 minutes, something kicks off that sucks up all the cycles for about
3
minutes, bringing the machine to a crawl. Task Manager shows Idle at
abt 90%,
with a couple of other tasks flashing in & out. After about 3 minutes,
the
machine returns to normal. How do I nail which task or process is
chewing up
all the cycles ?

Is there a lot of hard disk activity when this is happening (LED stays
lit solid)? Maybe you're swapping a lot, but there might be a bad sector
on the hard disk that delays the swap update?

Yousuf Khan