Ethernet port not working on XP machine

Old May 28th 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

Default Ethernet port not working on XP machine

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me? I've got a problem with my PC that I
got second-hand last year - basically, the Ethernet card on the motherboard
has never worked and shows up in the Device Manager under Other Devices as
Ethernet Controller with a big yellow question mark next to it. According to
some freebie software I downloaded, (CPUID) my motherboard is an Intel
D915GEV. I did a Google search and downloaded drivers for this but when I
try to install them, I get this error:

"1. cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) PRO Adapters are present in this
computer."

I'm stumped. Any ideas where to go from here?

Cheers

Daz

Old May 28th 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"dustie" wrote in message
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me? I've got a problem with my PC that I
got second-hand last year - basically, the Ethernet card on the
motherboard
has never worked and shows up in the Device Manager under Other Devices as
Ethernet Controller with a big yellow question mark next to it. According
some freebie software I downloaded, (CPUID) my motherboard is an Intel
D915GEV. I did a Google search and downloaded drivers for this but when I
try to install them, I get this error:

"1. cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) PRO Adapters are present in this
computer."

I'm stumped. Any ideas where to go from here?

Cheers

Daz

WHICH drivers did you install? Windows will generally work fine with no
drivers. However, if you want certain features like ethernet to work, you
need to install CHIPSET drivers, and then ethernet drivers, in that specific
order. If you've tried that, it's possible that the ethernet adapter is
disabled in the mainboard BIOS (CMOS) settings. Get in there and look
around all menus, maybe "integrated peripherals" if it has that section,
look for ethernet, see if it is enabled. -Dave

Old May 28th 08, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

WHICH drivers did you install? Windows will generally work fine with no
drivers. However, if you want certain features like ethernet to work, you
need to install CHIPSET drivers, and then ethernet drivers, in that
specific order. If you've tried that, it's possible that the ethernet
adapter is disabled in the mainboard BIOS (CMOS) settings. Get in there
and look around all menus, maybe "integrated peripherals" if it has that
section, look for ethernet, see if it is enabled. -Dave

Thanks muchly Dave, will investigate and report back!!

Old May 28th 08, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

"dustie" wrote in :

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me? I've got a problem with my PC that I
got second-hand last year - basically, the Ethernet card on the motherboard
has never worked and shows up in the Device Manager under Other Devices as
Ethernet Controller with a big yellow question mark next to it. According to
some freebie software I downloaded, (CPUID) my motherboard is an Intel
. I did a Google search and downloaded drivers for this but when I
try to install them, I get this error:

"1. cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) PRO Adapters are present in this
computer."

I'm stumped. Any ideas where to go from here?

Cheers

Daz

Because you downloaded drivers for a particular network card. You need
to download the chipset drivers for the *motherboard* because that is
where the network controller is located. My guess is you need the
chipset drivers from:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-011594.htm

But then I didn't look that hard and only had the single piece of
information that you provided (the model number, assuming it is
correct).
Old May 28th 08, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:22:14 +0100, "dustie"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me? I've got a problem with my PC that I
got second-hand last year - basically, the Ethernet card on the motherboard
has never worked and shows up in the Device Manager under Other Devices as
Ethernet Controller with a big yellow question mark next to it. According to
some freebie software I downloaded, (CPUID) my motherboard is an Intel
D915GEV. I did a Google search and downloaded drivers for this but when I
try to install them, I get this error:

"1. cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) PRO Adapters are present in this
computer."

I'm stumped. Any ideas where to go from here?

Cheers

Daz

This URL ...
http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-012067.htm

.... suggests that your motherboard has no integrated LAN. Instead you
must have an add-on card.

Your board uses the 915G chipset. This image confirms that this
chipset has no integrated LAN:
http://support.intel.com/products/i/...-flowlarge.jpg

Therefore I doubt that installing Intel's chipset drivers, as
suggested elsewhere, will fix your problem.

Instead I'd try the following:

How to use Registry Editor to identify an unknown PCI device:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298837

- Franc Zabkar
Old May 28th 08, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_5_]

It sounds like the Ethernet chip on that motherbgoard may have failed. You
can inexpensively buy a PCI version Ethernet card at any computer parts
store or online to simply install.

--

--DaveW

Old May 29th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

Your board uses the 915G chipset. This image confirms that this
chipset has no integrated LAN:
http://support.intel.com/products/i/...-flowlarge.jpg

Well, that's weird because I can see the LAN port in the back of it!? Could
it be that the software I used to identify the motherboard is getting it
wrong and it's a different board altogether?

Old May 29th 08, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

"Franc Zabkar" rambled tiredly in
:

"dustie" composed:

I wonder if someone can help me? I've got a problem with my PC that I
got second-hand last year - basically, the Ethernet card on the motherboard
has never worked and shows up in the Device Manager under Other Devices as
Ethernet Controller with a big yellow question mark next to it. According to
some freebie software I downloaded, (CPUID) my motherboard is an Intel
D915GEV. I did a Google search and downloaded drivers for this but when I
try to install them, I get this error:

"1. cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) PRO Adapters are present in this
computer."

This URL ...
http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-012067.htm

... suggests that your motherboard has no integrated LAN. Instead you
must have an add-on card.

If you look at the table at the URL that your provided, you will see
there are 3 different "boxed" versions listed. When a user runs a
utility to get the motherboard model, it won't be the same as the
"package" model. It will be the base model (which doesn't include the
LAN controller). The other 2 non-baseline models do include a network
port.

The OP will have to open the box to look inside to see which model he
really has. The presence of a LAN port amongst the backpanel connectors
would mean the OP has one of the non-baseline models.

At http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...sktop/d915gev/, clicking
on the Drivers link and then selecting the operating system - which the
OP never bothered to mention - will show if they provide a LAN driver
for that mobo and OS.
Old May 29th 08, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ofnuts

dustie wrote:
Your board uses the 915G chipset. This image confirms that this
chipset has no integrated LAN:
http://support.intel.com/products/i/...-flowlarge.jpg

Well, that's weird because I can see the LAN port in the back of it!? Could
it be that the software I used to identify the motherboard is getting it
wrong and it's a different board altogether?

The board maker can use other chips for added functionality. Not
everything is in the standard chipset.
Old May 29th 08, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 29 May 2008 00:20:08 +0100, "dustie"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Your board uses the 915G chipset. This image confirms that this
chipset has no integrated LAN:
http://support.intel.com/products/i/...-flowlarge.jpg

Well, that's weird because I can see the LAN port in the back of it!? Could
it be that the software I used to identify the motherboard is getting it
wrong and it's a different board altogether?

Sorry, it appears that I goofed badly. Your board has an 82801FB I/O
Controller Hub (ICH6) chip which supports an optional LAN subsystem.

According to the manual ...

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...6413602_en.pdf

The optional LAN, with the Intel 82801FB (ICH6), provides a Fast PCI
LAN subsystem. The LAN subsystem provides the following functions:

• Basic 10/100 Ethernet LAN (Intel 82562EZ) or Marvell 10/100/1000
Gigabit Ethernet LAN
• Support for RJ-45 connector with status indicator LEDs

You need to determine which PHY chip you have (Intel 82562EZ or
Marvell Yukon), and you may need to install Intel's Chipset Software
Installation Utility, as stated elsewhere in this thread:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../CS-009270.htm

Sorry again.

- Franc Zabkar

Ethernet port not recognized by XP or Vista. Daniel[_5_] Dell Computers 6 September 11th 07 08:47 PM
Dell X300 and ethernet port Geppetto Dell Computers 1 August 4th 07 07:52 PM
Dead Ethernet port Jim Homebuilt PC's 3 January 21st 06 12:01 AM
600m ethernet port jim Dell Computers 7 March 2nd 05 07:58 PM
Paralel port dongle access via ethernet/ port redirection Dominik Mente General Hardware 0 May 19th 04 11:33 PM