P5E Memory question

Old May 26th 08, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default P5E Memory question

Hi,
I'm a bit confused looking at this board on New Egg, it says Memory
Standard: DDR2 - 1200
I'm looking to do DDR3 - 1333, is that supported ?

TIA
Stuart
Old May 26th 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mr. Slither2u

If you want a similar board ASUS P5E3, P5E3 Dlx, P5E3 WS Pro, etc all
use DDR3 memory. Be prepared to shell out a few bucks both for the
board and the memory.

On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:03:38 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
Hi,
I'm a bit confused looking at this board on New Egg, it says Memory
Standard: DDR2 - 1200
I'm looking to do DDR3 - 1333, is that supported ?

TIA
Stuart

P5E is DDR2. The connectors on a motherboard are specific to a certain
kind of memory. There are some motherboards, that have six connectors,
and mix DDR2 and DDR3, but I don't recommend purchasing one of those.
If you want to use DDR3 at a high speed, buy a DDR3-only motherboard.

If you use the Newegg search engine, go to the Intel motherboard section,
and enter "DDR3" as a text term to include in the motherboard search,
that will select boards with DDR3 slots on them. For example, this
Gigabyte board promises "DDR3 1900", and that is likely to occur under
some set of overclocking conditions. At least the manufacturer
has a sense of optimism...

Always -

1) Read the reviews. See if a particular BIOS is needed to get decent operation.
See if it is listed as being stable or not.
2) Download the manual. If they've been fudging the advertising for the
product, the truth may be hidden in the manual somewhere.

Paul

Old May 26th 08, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Thank you people for the replies. I was looking towards DDR3 only
because it seemed since the last time I went window shopping (November
2007) prices had dropped. However after reviewing the responses I
think it makes sense for me to go with DDR2. Now I'm also wondering
about the CPU and Video. I am looking to get good performance from 3D
and VIdeo applications (After Effects and Cinema4D). For the GPU (and
typically I do ATI) but deciding to look to Nvidia - GeForce 9800
GTX , CPU - the latest intel quadcore - the Yorkfiled. So it's not so
much that I have any doubt on how it should run these applications. I
just would like some feedback with these and the P5E.
I should spend more time on the ASUS site but builds in the past
between Asus and me have been successful (sometimes a little tweaking)
so not really thinking other brands.

cheers
stuart
Old May 27th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mr. Slither2u

On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:55:52 -0700 (PDT), "

I have an ASUS P5E that I built to use as a media center computer. PC
Power and Cooling 750W power supply, GForce 9800 GTX, Intel Q6700 Quad
core, 4GB of Corsair Balistiks memory running at 1066, and a pair of
M780 tuners. I bought the P5E because it had 2 PCI Express X1 slots
right next to each other for the tuners. If you were going for dual
graphics cards this board supports ATI crossfire only. Also, the X16
slots support only X16 not X1 or X4 but that's not a problem. Also, I
had to set the dram speed in the bios because it defaulted to 800Mhz
even though the sticks were 1066 rated. In summary it flies, and is
stable as a rock.

Old May 27th 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Now I am trying to find a P5E with wifi , it looks like that
combination now is only with the x48 chipset. ?

Old June 19th 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
gg

are you sure p5e wifi has x48 not x38?

if you search by Intel and x48 you will see a list on asus.com

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=640

P5E Deluxe and Rampage Formula are ddr2 and x48