I'm now an ATI convert

Old September 7th 03, 10:20 AM
Ron Merts

You upgraded the entire system and then believe that your improvement in
performance is wholly due to a new video card? You probably would have
gotten even better results had you upgraded everything else and kept your FX
5900. The only reason you're not crashing so much is you ditched that old,
under-powered PSU. What did you upgrade from a Pentium III with PC-133
memory to a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading and Dual-Channel DDR400 memory?

Ron

"T1000" wrote in message
Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.

After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most

exceptionally
stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around

with
originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for

the
first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix

and
still get exceptional gaming.

I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably

sized
ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited

so
damn long to make the switch.

The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.

I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the

fx5900
in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
not a single hiccup.

Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
months.

To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
SOLUTION.

Cheers,

T1000

Old September 8th 03, 06:07 AM
Diavire

Read

" I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the
fx5900
in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
time."

"And With The FX5900 In It"
I take it "IT" is the upgraded system, what the heavy benchmarking and
burn-in indicates as well

duh.

--
-DmD-
[w00t2]Proxivire

.. .

Old September 8th 03, 06:07 AM
Diavire

Read

"F r e e" wrote in message

I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade..

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, so this is a realy 'cientific' comparison....!
Man, so much word wasting and then you say this....

Free

Old September 8th 03, 06:08 AM
Diavire

exactly what this newsgroup is about, no?
so why read the group if you're tired of hearing about videocards

--
-DmD-
[w00t2]Proxivire
Angst
P.R.O.X.I.V.I.R.E.: Positronic Replicant Optimized for Xenocide and
Infiltration/Vigilant Individual Responsible for Exploration

"neopolaris" . wrote in message ...
Woopie-it's a video card

Old September 8th 03, 04:25 PM
ginfest

I also have both and the diff are not as clear-cut as the OP makes out.
Perhaps trying to "justify" his choice or gain-favor with his "new friends"
by "tweaking" NV owners?
I mainly plain IL2:FB, HH2K4, Madden2K4 and BF1942 and actually prefer the
5900/45.23 drvs over the 9800/Cat 3.7.
Of course if "real" DX9 games suddenly flood the market and perf is lacking
with the 5900, I'll just swap-in the 9800 although I expect to move up to
the next-gen to really enjoy those titles.

Mike G

.. .

"T1000" wrote in message
[...]

---