Advice needed

Old September 4th 03, 02:20 AM
@drian

Default Advice needed

Hello,

I'm due to buy an NVidia FX 5900 card, but would like some advice as to
which card is the best made. I really don't know if they are all very well
made, or not. What do I mean best made? The PCI bracket is secured to the
PCB with screws, sturdy fan, solid software package, etc.

I say that because in the past I had NVidia cards which the fan came off or
the PCI bracket wasn't secured correctly. In one case, it was secured via
solder and came loose. I think I'm correct in saying all FX 5900 cards are
about same performance wise?

Thanks.

@drian.

Old September 4th 03, 05:44 AM
Chimera

I'm due to buy an NVidia FX 5900 card, but would like some advice as to
which card is the best made. I really don't know if they are all very

well
made, or not.

snip

Yeah well, in the past ive also seen some oems that leave no corner uncut,
crappy brackets & fans, cheap boards, slow memory modules etc. nVidia is a
lot more particular with manufacturer designs than a year back. The FX5900
is a top end card, and as such I doubt many compaines will be looking to cut
corners the same way. Most run at about the same speed, but if you want to
know about that last 2% that separates the different brands, you'll have to
spend some time reading reviews

Old September 4th 03, 09:52 AM
Ron Merts

eVGA makes a very good FX 5900 card. So does ASUS, but it's more costly. I
have not had the experience of using an MSI version but their Ti4600 boards
were very well constructed, so I can only assume that quality has carried
over to their FX 5900 card; but again it's on the upper-end of the pricing.
If you are looking for most "bang-for the-buck" look at the eVGA cards.
They have a very good warranty and tech support and we own 2 of their FX
5900 cards.

Ron

. ..

Old September 4th 03, 10:42 PM
@drian

Ron, forgot to ask. Are there screws attaching the PCI bracket to the card
on the eVGA FX 5900 128MB? I've looked on NewEgg's picture and it doesn't
show any.

@drian.

Old September 5th 03, 07:52 AM
Ron Merts

I believe so, but am not 100% certain. I do know is uses the DVI and VGA
hex screws to assist in holding it in place as well as whatever attaching
method they are using. These are also locked with lock-washers It's
definitely sturdy and doesn't wiggle or move around.. The eVGA card is an
nVidia Reference design. In fact it looks exactly like the FX 5900 Ultra
except for there's no heatsink on the back side of the card since there's no
memory there. I've seen some PCI and a few AGP cards like you described
where the back-plate comes loose. I have never experienced this with an
eVGA card; and the heatsink is definitely secured on the card and not going
to come off anytime soon without some substantial prying on your part. In
fact the heatsink is held on with screws and not those plastic clips/pins as
is the case with many heatsinks.

Ron

. ..

Old September 9th 03, 08:59 PM
YanquiDawg

Most are made by the same company. Especially the Ultras. Nvidia wants to keep
at tight rein on QC. Then they are sent outr to Evga,Asus Chaintech,etc.who
tweak the drivers.
EVGA is said to have excellent customer support and very good prices,I bought
their 5900 and am ver happy with it.TRON 2.0 looks just incredible and is fast
at 1280.
BTW,some(most) 5900 take up two bracket slots and need a molex power connector
as well.Dawg