XP 2400 cold boot problem

Old May 2nd 05, 03:49 PM
Vince Morgan

Default XP 2400 cold boot problem

Hi,
I have a strange poblem that I beleive could be to do with the fact
that I recently (partialy ) fried my XP 2400. Yes, the board does have auto
shutdown for CPU over temp, but some idiot (me) didn't check to see whether
or not it was enabled by default.
Anyway, I cleaned about a cubic meter of dust out of the heatsink and
everything was fine again, almost. At around that time I started to get a
BSOD just after the black (win2k) 'Windows is Starting' screen on cold
boots.
If I pause the boot during the black screen for a few mins the system always
boots without a problem and everything runs fine. The Stop errors are quite
random, though they always ocurre about 4 or 5 secs after the black screen.
I've disabled the onboard ethernet and sound, pounded the ram with
Memcheck-86, thorough disk integrity check, and reinstalled drivers etc, but
it didn't make any difference whatsoever. I had Nortons Internet Security
2003 installed, as I've seen on Googling that some have had a similar sort
of problem and felt that it was perhaps causing a kernel stack overflow, so
I uninstalled that tonight to see what happens when I boot cold again
tomorrow morning, though I don't beleive it's the problem.
Has anyone else had this problem? I suspect that the CPU is damaged and
possibly running analog until it warms up a little, though I'm not prepared
to buy another just yet just to find nothing has changed. I guess the old
one would make an interesting belt buckle though The machine is used
primarily for software devellopment so it realy does need to be reliable.
Trying to rebuild .cpp files from bits of chkdsk recoveries is not pleasent

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Vince Morgan

Old May 2nd 05, 06:42 PM
Bill

In article ,
says...
[...]

I think your down to swapping out the processor. Any friends you could
borrow one from for testing purposes? Also consider that the
motherboard may have become damaged from the heat.

Bill
Old May 2nd 05, 08:58 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Vince Morgan exclaimed (5/2/2005 3:49 PM):
Hi,
I have a strange poblem that I beleive could be to do with the fact
that I recently (partialy ) fried my XP 2400. Yes, the board does have auto
shutdown for CPU over temp, but some idiot (me) didn't check to see whether
or not it was enabled by default.
Anyway, I cleaned about a cubic meter of dust out of the heatsink and
everything was fine again, almost. At around that time I started to get a
BSOD just after the black (win2k) 'Windows is Starting' screen on cold
boots.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Vince Morgan

Were you as careful removing the CPU heatsink for cleaning as you were
reinstalling it? I killed an XP 1800 once while removing a heatsink
that didn't want to come off. Crushed a tiny, tiny bit of a corner of
the visible core, which, when it booted, then burned a really nice brown
spot on the bottom of the CPU. I keep it as a reminder of what NOT to do

Also, did you properly remove and reapply your heatsink paste?

I'd carefully remove the heatsink, clean off all residue on both the
heatsink and CPU with an appropriate cleaner, then visually inspect your
CPU for damage, top and bottom. Of course, no visible damage no
damage, but visible damage would clearly show that you now have an
excuse to get a faster CPU

Reapply your heatsink paste according to manufacturer's instructions,
and see if it's booting any different...

Hope this helps, and let us know what happens!

jmc