MS-DOS Compatibility Mode

Old February 11th 04, 11:20 PM
Scott

Default MS-DOS Compatibility Mode

I just reinstalled the OS on my mother's G6-266 (Win 98 First Edition).
The "c" drive is 20GB, plus there's a WD 40GB (data "d") drive connected
to a Promise Ultra 100 card. I now see this message under My Computer,
Performance:

"If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility
mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility
(real-mode) driver, which may reduce that drive's performance. Contact
your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your
drive. If not, the drive's performance may be less than optimal, but you can
still use it."

Only one hard drive ("c" drive) is listed under Device Manager/Disk Drives.
I don't see the "d" drive listened anywhere, but it is working fine...although,
intererestingly, it's capacity is shown as 42.9 GB. I added the Ultra 100
card a few days after reformatting. Originally, the "d" drive was the slave
to the primary "c" drive on the same cable.

Is there anyway to get rid of the above message?

Thanks!
Scott

Old February 12th 04, 10:14 PM
Scott

PC Guy,

Yes, I loaded the driver for the Promise card. The only one that worked was
the driver from Promise's website (v2.00.0.39). I had a similar problem
last time I re-formatted. It didn't want to take any of the Promise drivers.
I can't remember which driver finally worked. I know GW's drivers didn't.

Scott

The PC Guy wrote:

Hello Scott:
Did you load the driver for the Promise card? Skipping this step can
cause what you've described.

regards,
bruce

--
The PC Guy
Serving the Computer impaired in Northern Indiana