Sapphire 9800 Pro (new) for $229

Old January 30th 04, 07:27 PM
John

Default Sapphire 9800 Pro (new) for $229

Check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-268&depa=1
Old January 30th 04, 10:09 PM
GTX_SlotCar

I ordered one a couple days ago. Definitely a good price sine they were $260
a month ago. Maybe they'll be $199 in another month :-)
They also have refurbished 9800s and 9800Pros for a little less.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

om...

Old February 1st 04, 06:40 PM
Jorge E. Ravelo

Make sure you get an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer AND get RAM heatsinks.
My Sapphire Pro from New Egg sometimes crashed on Call of Duty even with the
case open and a fan blowing until I did the above mod!

Jorge

Old February 2nd 04, 06:03 AM
@ndrew

Jorge E. Ravelo wrote:

Make sure you get an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer AND get RAM
heatsinks. My Sapphire Pro from New Egg sometimes crashed on Call of
Duty even with the case open and a fan blowing until I did the above
mod!

Jorge

I have no such problems with mine in the stock standard configuration
and I am a hard gamer .. personally I would ignore the above advice.

regards

@ndrew

Old February 2nd 04, 09:25 PM
Jorge E. Ravelo

Where do you live?

With a room temp of 78 F my card was overheating in the previously mentioned
conditions. You could feel it with your fingers. As soon as I did the mod,
the troubles vanished. With the ONE card I got from NewEgg I experienced
these heat-related lockups; yours may be different. YMMV!
But that is no reason to "ignore" my advice.
I am 47 yo. I have built PC's for myself and family since 1990, and have
owned every game card in DOS (old Hercules), early Windows (including a twin
3Dfx Voodoo II SLI setup), to the first TNT (canopus), many GeForce's, and
now ATI. I played the original Quake online, and have most popular first
person shooters. While I have a day job that keeps me from playing all day
& night as you do, I consider myself an RKI.

Jorge

Old February 2nd 04, 10:07 PM
GTX_SlotCar

I appreciate both comments. The card just arrived today and I'll try it
tonight on CoD. If there's a problem, or if I decide I need it to OC the
card, I'll look into that cooler. It looks like it would be quite effective.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old February 3rd 04, 01:39 AM
stu

"GTX_SlotCar" wrote in message
I appreciate both comments. The card just arrived today and I'll try it
tonight on CoD. If there's a problem, or if I decide I need it to OC the
card, I'll look into that cooler. It looks like it would be quite

effective.

I can vouch for the Arctic Cooler too, it's a great piece of kit.

Old February 3rd 04, 07:15 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Does this cooler cool the memory chips on that side of the board? I haven't
really taken a good look, but I assume there are 4 memory chips on each side
of the card. I touched the ones on the back of the card and they certainly
do get hot. I burned my finger :-)
Are there any memory HSs that are better than others?

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

newsKbTb.156889$sv6.865467@attbi_s52...

Old February 4th 04, 02:30 AM
stu

"GTX_SlotCar" wrote in message
Does this cooler cool the memory chips on that side of the board? I

haven't
really taken a good look, but I assume there are 4 memory chips on each

side
of the card. I touched the ones on the back of the card and they certainly
do get hot. I burned my finger :-)
Are there any memory HSs that are better than others?

Doesn't cool the Ram at all.

Old February 4th 04, 02:31 PM
GTX_SlotCar

I ordered the cooler last night, along with some AS thermal adhesive. I've
got some old cpu heatsinks I'm going to cut up and try out on the memory. If
it doesn't work, I'll order some. If newegg.com carried them, I would have
ordered them along with the rest of the stuff.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com