Asus A7N266-VM with two leeky capacitors.

Old June 2nd 08, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Xam

Default Asus A7N266-VM with two leeky capacitors.

Hi Gang.

Not the worst news but I have two leaky capacitors on my old faithful
Asus A7N266-VM. The caps are situated right next to the CPU socket on
the PCI slot side. The system still runs well, but they only just
started leaking yesterday, AFAIK.

If you look at the graphic on the link page below, youcan see them quite
clearly. There is two copper coils next to them on their right, with
the CPU socket on the left.

http://www.techtree.com/India/Review...48937-636.html

It may just be a coincidence but, I was testing a 64DDR Radeon 7000 PCI
card yesterday for a friend. The card worked fine in my system. It was
after the test (I let it run for a few hours) that I noticed one tiny
piece of smeg on the top of one cap. Now today there is a whole lot
more on the other, as well as about the same on the top of the first.

Can anyone tell me what they are for, what may have caused this, and can
I just replace them? Also, is there anything else I should know, before
proceeding?

Thanks for your time and consideration of my problem.

-Adrian

Other hardwa
AMD Athlon 2000+ CPU.
1 gig of ram. (1 x 512 PC400 + 1 x 512 PC333)
2 x 40 gig HDD
1 x CD RW
1 x DVD RW
550 watt PSU

--
I'm not afraid to die.
I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Old June 2nd 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob

"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

They look to be part of the CPU power regulation circuitry.
Apparently, there were millions of them made which weren't up to
spec and found their way into many motherboards (and other
electronics.)
Whenever I replace leaky electrolytics, I try and get replacements
which are rated at 150C (or higher, if you can get them) rather
than standard ones which are often only rated to 100 Centigrade.
The theory is they will last longer on devices which run hot.

HTH,
--
Rob

Old June 3rd 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Xam

Rob wrote:
"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks Rob.
Much appreciated.
-Adrian

--
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
Old June 3rd 08, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Xam" typed:
[...]

Yes, as Rob said, they're part of the VRM that supplies power (vcore) to the
CPU. Be sure to replace them with low ESR caps speced for the same or higher
voltage, the same capacitance and the same or higher temperature. Lastly,
use caps from a reputable manufacturer like Rubycon, Sanyo or Nichicon.

(They look like they'll be something like 3,000uF, 6.3V, 105°C 10mm lead
spacing low-ESR radial lead aluminium can electrolytic capacitors.)

If you're in the US you might want to order them from the guy who runs the
badcaps.com site. It can be easier than trying to source them yourself. I've
replaced capacitors in five or six boards now, and fitted extra ones on a
couple of boards that had markings for them on the mobo but the caps weren't
there. It's not hard if you're careful and make sure you don't pull the
through-plating out.

Good luck.
--
Shaun.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

Xam:

Do you have any experience working on pc boards that use surface mount
devices? Working with capacitors mounted on such pc boards that use
through-the-hole plating for signal/power path distribution requires a high
level of skill to work with to prevent damage to the board.

If you have experience, then you know this. If this is something new to
you, you should get your hands on an old discarded pc board and do some
practice and develop a technique for yourself. It will be necessary to
learn how to use a proper soldering gun/stick to melt the solder around the
leads of the capacitor without harming the pc board.

Usually a solder sucker of some type is used to remove the molten solder
from the holes in use by the capacitors. A pair of pliers is then used to
move the capacitor leads around in the hole to confirm the free movement of
the leads before removal of the capacitor. It is extremely important that
you do not put any stress on the plating used to coat the internal area of
the hole in the pc board.

Repairing components on state-of-the-art pc boards has become such an
advanced skill that few technicians outside of large factory settings have
the equipment or skills to do such work for what a consumer would be willing
to pay for.

Be careful, practice, or you will render the pc board worthless.

William

It's always good to have a friend who does this kind of stuff and purchase a
good bottle of Whiskey for them to do the job for you. (It's amazing what
a good bottle of Whiskey will get done for you.)

Old June 4th 08, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "William" typed:
"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

Or you could get your husband to do it for you. ;-)
--
Shaun.

Old June 4th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

He will get his butane burner out and use it. It worked OK on his truck last
time. Or maybe he will get that old wood burner out that he has laying in
his drawer left over from his Boy Scouts days doing Indian motif projects
for his badge. He'll have to knock off the sawdust of course. That led acid
solder should do the job left over from the pipe work done last year on the
sink.

William

Old June 4th 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yeah, there's always that.

My tongue-in-cheek comment was inspired by the fact that, if the caps are
gone, the mobo isn't far behind (if it's not already playing up).

Therefore (in most cases) you have little to lose by just carefully trying
it yourself. Obviously you need to remove the old caps first and that's the
hardest part. So you can even try that without spending money on the new
ones until you know if you can do it. Really, a bit of common sense and
patience is all that's needed. I've probably replaced 60 capacitors on
motherboards now and not had one problem.
--
Shaun.

Old June 5th 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Xam

"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

lol.
Thanks everyone for all the tips.
I have done some solder work before, and even some of that was on PC
boards. But I don't own a solder sucker. I have always wanted one
though. This may just be the excuse I needed to buy one. (-: I usually
end up blowing the molten solder off. But this method has the problem
that it tends to blow it all over everything else.

I live in Australia, but should be able to find an Aussie site that is
the equivalent of badcaps.com. But I have to go to town today to buy
some other electrical stuff, so I will have a look.

The caps are only rated at 105 degrees (6.3v 3300uf), so I will look for
some 150 degrees caps. The lead spacing, I am not sure of though. The
caps are 10 mm across, so the lead spacing must be less than that. 6 or
8 mm perhaps.

Unfortunately, I am the most computer/electrical savy person I know.
Otherwise the whiskey option would definitely be the best.

Thanks again guys.
-Adrian
Old June 5th 08, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob

"Xam" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've heard of some that physically pull the cans off of the caps, leaving
the leads still connected to the mobo (obviously the internals of the cap
need cutting off, if they remain attached) and then have soldered the new
caps to these lead stubs.
I wouldn't recommend that method, but it's a possibility if you can't get
the old leads out.

HTH (and good luck!),
--
Rob