High density (128x4) PC3200 RAM compatibility

Old February 12th 05, 01:19 AM
Marc Montemorra

Default High density (128x4) PC3200 RAM compatibility

Hello all.

I am confused as to if high density (128x4) PC3200/DDR400 DIMMs will work with my new Athlon64 3500+ 90nm socket 939 processor and Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard?

I've tried to research this but it is very hard to find any definitive information about it on the web. I know that the memory controller is built into the Athlon64 chip and it is 128-bits wide. The Gigabyte documentation only says to refer to AMD specs for memory compatibility. Looking at AMD's site hasn't given me any answers either but I could be missing something.

I'm sure many of you know why I'm asking - 128x4 DIMMs are much less expensive than other DIMMs so you can get more "bang for your buck" using them. Additionally, does anybody know if these are quality components? I assume the lower price is because there is less of a market/demand for them.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe for any information the collective can provide.

- Marc -

Old February 12th 05, 10:01 AM
Michael Paul

Marc Montemorra wrote:
Hello all.

Hi,

I am confused as to if high density (128x4) PC3200/DDR400 DIMMs will
work with my new Athlon64 3500+ 90nm socket 939 processor and

Gigabyte
K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard?

Check AMD website. You will find a PDF file listing compatible memory
modules. Although I admit that that list doesn't seem to be complete, I
don't find any 128x4 modules in that list.
So I think, it's quite risky to buy such modules.
Does Gigabyte provide a list of memory modules known as working?

Michael

Old February 12th 05, 07:46 PM
Marc Montemorra

Thanks for the response.

No, Gigabyte docs I've read for the nVidia nForce3 Ultra chipset only say to refer to AMD docs since the memory controller is onboard the CPU.

In looking at the AMD docs I'm sure you are referring to (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_893^10125,00.html) no 128x4 modules are listed under the Athlon 64 doc but they are listed for the Athlon 64FX. But is the Athlon 64 doc only for the 754-pin packaging? I ask this because in the 754-pin models the CPU only has a 64-bit wide memory controller while the 939-pin processors have a 128-bit wide controller like the FX has had all the time. Do you see my confusion?

I've also found another thing I don't understand. On the Kingston site ( http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search ) it says "This system only supports 4 banks of DDR400 memory. If two double-sided DIMMs are used, the 3rd and 4th sockets are disabled." Why would this be? Is this a limitation of the AMD onboard memory controller? It also states, that you can only go up to 2GB RAM at DDR400 speeds while you can go up to 4GB is you use DDR333. Again, is this a limitation of AMD's onboard memory controller?

As always, aTdHvAaNnKcSe for any responses.

Old February 12th 05, 09:02 PM
Michael Paul

Am Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:49:44 GMT schrieb Marc Montemorra:

Thanks for the response.

No, Gigabyte docs I've read for the nVidia nForce3 Ultra chipset only
say to refer to AMD docs since the memory controller is onboard the
CPU.

Okay. Some mobo manufacturers did perform own tests (or the users did
and posted that in the forums).

In looking at the AMD docs I'm sure you are referring to
(http://www.amd.com/ (snipped) )

Yes, that's the doc I meant.

... but they are listed for the Athlon 64FX. But is the Athlon 64
doc only for the 754-pin packaging?

No, I think, it fits socket 939, too. That doc refers unbuffered memory,
and that's what both Athlon64-CPU will support.

I ask this because in the
754-pin models the CPU only has a 64-bit wide memory controller while
the 939-pin processors have a 128-bit wide controller like the FX has
had all the time. Do you see my confusion?

Yes, I see. The bandwith of the memory controller has nothing to to with
the construction of the memory modules. I think, that the FX models have
slightly different memory controllers, but I must admit, that I haven't
read all the docs about AMD CPUs.

I've also found another thing I don't understand. On the Kingston
site it says "This system only supports 4 banks of DDR400 memory.
If two double-sided DIMMs are used, the 3rd and 4th sockets are
disabled."
Why would this be? Is this a limitation of the AMD onboard memory
controller?

Yes.

It also states, that you can only go up to 2GB RAM at
DDR400 speeds while you can go up to 4GB is you use DDR333. Again,
is this a limitation of AMD's onboard memory controller?

I think so, the manual of my MSI Board (VIA chipset) states the same.
There you can use 4 single sided DIMMs in order to get 400MHz DDR and
DualChannel mode. If double sided modules are used, then you have DC,
but only at 333MHz DDR. If there would exist 1GB single sided modules,
then 4GB @400MHz DDR would be feasible.

Michael
[TOFU recycled]

High Density RAM Owen Guppy General 2 October 17th 06 12:41 AM
Soltek SL75-DRV5 + high density DDR module Gareth Tuckwell General 0 September 7th 04 09:57 PM