Hard Disc problem

Old December 16th 05, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Hard Disc problem

Hello people.

I've got a bit of a major problem with a hard disk of mine. I ran scan
disk on this hard drive tho half way through i had a power cut. Since
that moment this drive has been dead. Windows does not recongnize the
drive at all, if you goto the event log all you see is hundreds of bad
sector warnings.
The bios recongizes the drive, and thats about it. Oh also the drive
makes a funny noise when it tries to spin. Can anyone recommend
anything to get some of my data off this drive..

Many Thanks

Old December 17th 05, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 16 Dec 2005 05:17:31 -0800, "Simon"
wrote:

Hello people.

I've got a bit of a major problem with a hard disk of mine. I ran scan
disk on this hard drive tho half way through i had a power cut. Since
that moment this drive has been dead. Windows does not recongnize the
drive at all, if you goto the event log all you see is hundreds of bad
sector warnings.
The bios recongizes the drive, and thats about it. Oh also the drive
makes a funny noise when it tries to spin. Can anyone recommend
anything to get some of my data off this drive..

Many Thanks

If Windows doesn't recognize the disk how is there hundreds of bad
sector warnings in the event log? Are these from before the hard disk
crashed? I think the only way you can get data off this disk is to
send it to a recovery place. Of course that costs a few thousand
bucks.
Old December 17th 05, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

If the failure happened after the power surge or cut then the chances
are that the pcb on the harddrive has been damaged , if it were me i
would try and buy a harddrive exactly the same make and model number
of the old harddrive and swap the pcb`s over , its a lot cheaper than
recovery option.

Old February 4th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Though it sounds as if you may have more extensive problems with this hard
drive, I recommend Spinrite 6 by Gibson Research. It may be able to recover

Old February 5th 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

the data on the drive. You can read more about it at www.grc.com

SpinRite will not fix logical drives to my knolwedge.

You might want to take a look at the thread entitled

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

on this forum.

--

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action General 127 January 20th 06 09:30 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action Dell Computers 121 December 12th 05 12:47 PM
Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 01:10 AM
writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
Hard disc problem? Maxtor SATA drive... [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 February 29th 04 07:51 PM