HDD Compatibility

Old February 2nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default HDD Compatibility

On 1/31/2006 8:07 PM, David Maynard wrote:

No, what I mentioned is a disk manager program that installs a boot
loader on the drive that replaces the limited BIOS IDE handler so the
full capacity of the drive is available, not something that limits the
drive.

Something like this one:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...ive/utilities/

but I don't know if their version will allow usage with other
manufacturer's drives and I note that on the page link you posted
they've removed Disk Manager because "systems with Windows XP and 2000
don't require it." Not exactly precise because W2k/XP won't 'fix' an old
motherboard BIOS but I guess they just don't support older systems.

Of course, if you don't mind losing drive capacity then the drive
limiter would work.

I installed the drive yesterday, and WinXP (SP2) was able to see all 250GB w/o anything else. But when I go to BIOS, it shows only 65GB or so. Thinking if I should leave it like this, or do something so that the BIOS could also see the full capacity. What are the pros/cons of leaving BIOS like as it is now?

--
Please reply to the newsgroup.
To mail me directly, replace 'K' with 'e'.
Old February 3rd 06, 11:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Samik R wrote:
[...]

I suspect it'll appear to work while confined to the lower 65GB but wrap
around above that so it writes over itself corrupting the disk.