Overclockers - beware of voltages in excess of Intel recommended max on Penryn (45nm) processors !!

Old April 28th 08, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

Default Overclockers - beware of voltages in excess of Intel recommended max on Penryn (45nm) processors !!

Really ? And what makes you come to that conclusion ?

Perfectly average? Just like you ??

Your moniker betrays your pomposity. Try applying to
Anandtech as a reviewer some day. Or to Ars Technica as
a journalist.

John Lewis

I'm sure Mr.E.Solved won't sleep tonight now. It just breaks out hearts
when some non-entity like you blows through the n/g cross-posting and
talking out of his ass. Perhaps you can post some irrelevant gem again in,
say, 2011 or 2012.

Old April 29th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Lewis" typed:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:34:37 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
wrote:

John Lewis wrote:

The misfortune happened at Anandtech in extreme stress testing..
Probably the most respected PC hardware review site in the world for
its technical authority.

You are bonkers if that is what you think. More so if you are in any
way affiliated with that site or its advertisers.

Not at all. However, I do happen to be a hardware engineer
specializing in computer-based professional technical instrumentation,
so maybe I do have some ability to discern technical competence in
this field

Or not. IMEE when people start claiming quals without backing the claims up
it's usually a defence mechanism and chances are that it's bull****.

Anyone with half a brain (or more) would have just posted this to
alt.comp.harware.overclocking. After all, if there was one group where this
post would have been right on topic and open to knowledgable discussion
that's the one.

By their actions you will know them.
--
Shaun.

Old April 29th 08, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
noname

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:14:31 GMT, (John Lewis)

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??
Old April 29th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

The OP

Old April 29th 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:05:11 GMT, "alanrco"
wrote:

hmm...

I brought my complete PC recently Overclocked proccessor (quad 2.4 OC to
3.2) and OC Vid as advertised. Wonder how mine will fare over the 12 months
that is a legal requirement for warranty on goods sold in the UK. As a unit
I've been informed, this would take precedent over individual item warranty
requirements laid down by say, Intel or Nvidia. Also the selling company of
the PC has the liability over individual parts manufacture.

Interesting

If you managed to overclock without raising any voltages higher than
Intel's/nVidia's/ memory-supplier recommended maximum, the core temp
of the CPU does not exceed a conservative 60 degrees C and the GPU
core does not exceed a conservative 80 degrees C while running the
stress benchmarks, you should be in great shape.

John Lewis

Alan

Old April 29th 08, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

.... in the context of the time to failure in the Anandtech article....

next question?

Old April 29th 08, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 03:13:24 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

The OP

I was just passing along the Anandtech blog as a friendly warning for
those far less knowledgeable about 45nm technology than yourself. You
do work for one of Intel's process-evaluation group no doubt?

John Lewis

Old April 29th 08, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

I was just passing along the Anandtech blog as a friendly warning for
those far less knowledgeable about 45nm technology than yourself. You
do work for one of Intel's process-evaluation group no doubt?

John Lewis

You delusions about your vast and far reaching knowledge regarding "45nm
technology" is of no consequence to me. You don't know me, or anyone else
who posts here on a regular basis. So don't presume to. I don't give a ****
if you invented the internet along with your unique ability to "discern
technical competence". I put you in the same league as Skybuck and DaveW.
Actually, I take that back. They do have some redeeming humour qualities
they are unaware of. You are a just a puffed up, self styled "expert" with
zero credibilty. A usenet search of your postings speaks volumes about
your expertise, sources and knowledge base. Like the one back in Feb where
you told First of One that the 8800GTX was an "archaic" technology. Of
course, since you're a long time regular, unlike me who's just a passing
newbie and and have just discovered usenet. You still haven't figured out
how to post to just one group either.

Old April 29th 08, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tim O[_2_]

wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

That would imply that you would reach the parts Mean Time Before
Failure, but still might have a servicable life.

Might be an acceptable risk for a gamer... Just as an example using
random numbers:

Suppose the part has a MTBF of 10,000 hours.

A gamer wants some extra speed, knows he's not going to use that CPU
for more than a couple years and overclocks it, lessening the CPU's
life to 7000 hours. That would be a longer term early failure.

Tim
Old May 2nd 08, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
ztwoeight

wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

... in the context of the time to failure in the Anandtech article....

next question?

Here's a tip. If you use zero volts the CPU will last a lot longer than the
estimated MTBF! g