nvidia driver download ... Do I need to unistall previous?

Old August 29th 04, 09:39 PM
John Hellingsworth

Default nvidia driver download ... Do I need to unistall previous?

Hello out there...

I'm sorry that this is such a basic question..... but I'll hopefully get an
answer on here.........

I have a PNY FX 5950 Ultra, recently purchased. I've installed the latest
nvidia driver (61.77) and things seem to running reasonably ok,(upgraded
from an FX 5600).
BUT, I installed over the top of my previous driver. To gain maximum
performance from my new card, should I have uninstalled the previous driver
before installing the latest driver, or does the download procedure from
nvidia automatically get rid of remnants and debris from the old driver?

If I need to uninstall, and reinstall, is there a morons guidance that I can
refer to, that will lead me through the necessary process ?

Many Thanks

John Hellingsworth

Old August 29th 04, 10:15 PM
cimetière

Some people recommend to uninstall the previous driver. However, I never
did so and never got any problems... However, I did get problems with I
changed my videocard last year from ATI to Nvidia. I completely forgot to
uninstall ATI driver first... Gee, what a mess a created!! I had to
reformat my system...

Daniel

www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/ouonsenva (français)
ou/or
www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english (english)
de ...

Old August 29th 04, 10:26 PM
Folk

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:39:14 GMT, "John Hellingsworth"
wrote:

Hello out there...

I'm sorry that this is such a basic question..... but I'll hopefully get an
answer on here.........

I have a PNY FX 5950 Ultra, recently purchased. I've installed the latest
nvidia driver (61.77) and things seem to running reasonably ok,(upgraded
from an FX 5600).
BUT, I installed over the top of my previous driver. To gain maximum
performance from my new card, should I have uninstalled the previous driver
before installing the latest driver, or does the download procedure from
nvidia automatically get rid of remnants and debris from the old driver?

If I need to uninstall, and reinstall, is there a morons guidance that I can
refer to, that will lead me through the necessary process ?

Many Thanks

John Hellingsworth

If you don't have any problems, then don't worry about it. Some will
tell you to uninstall first, some will tell you to simply upgrade.

I usually uninstall using Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, do the
forced reboot, cancel out of Window's offer to find a new driver, then
run Setup on the new driver. But I've also done like you and simply
upgraded with no apparent ill effects.

Old August 30th 04, 04:27 AM
no name

"John Hellingsworth" tried to express:
Hello out there...

I'm sorry that this is such a basic question..... but I'll hopefully get an
answer on here.........

I have a PNY FX 5950 Ultra, recently purchased. I've installed the latest
nvidia driver (61.77) and things seem to running reasonably ok,(upgraded
from an FX 5600).
BUT, I installed over the top of my previous driver. To gain maximum
performance from my new card, should I have uninstalled the previous driver
before installing the latest driver, or does the download procedure from
nvidia automatically get rid of remnants and debris from the old driver?

I think that in the windoze world is is a good idea to go into safe mode,
uninstall the drivers, set to normal VGA, boot normally, then install
the new drivers.

I think is it really hit or miss as to whether you will have problems
when upgrading most system drivers so I like to avoid the problem by
reverting to a base system beforehand.

Old August 30th 04, 12:49 PM
Steve

When I didn't uninstall my old drivers and put in a new 6800GT, I couldn't
get the Nalu or Plain Sailing Demos to run, I therefore uninstalled them,
used driver cleaner 3.0 and installed them again and it worked, so consider
it if you have any issues really.

Old August 31st 04, 10:29 PM
GTX_SlotCar

nVidia recommends that you uninstall old drivers before installing new ones.
The 62.52 beta drivers do this for you if they detect other drivers. They
even do the reboot before continuing to install.
It probably takes 4 or 5 minutes to uninstall first. If you have problems
by not uninstalling first, it'll probably take a lot longer than that to
clear it up.
The choice is yours. Take your chances by not installing and you'll probably
be OK. Spend an extra 4 minutes and you're sure to be OK. Everyone makes
their decision based on their own reasons.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com