[A8V-E Deluxe] SATA drive doesn't even spin if data cable is connected,but it spins if only power is attached

Old October 18th 05, 11:33 PM
Aggro

Default [A8V-E Deluxe] SATA drive doesn't even spin if data cable is connected,but it spins if only power is attached

I tried installing a new SATA II hard drive to A8V-E Deluxe motherboard.
But I noticed that bios doesn't detect it. More investigation revealed
that the SATA drive doesn't even spin on the startup. But if I detach
the data cable and leave the power cable then the drive spins.

This board has 24-pin power socket, but my power has only 20-pin cable,
so I have the motherboard attached to that leaving 4 pins untouched. And
it has worked fine. Only problem is this SATA drive. So I started
wondering could this problem be caused by it? And if it is, will it help
if I buy a "24-pin to 20-pin" cable and place it in the middle? Or is
there anything else I could try?

( I have the SATA enabled from bios, RAID is disabled. I tried to
connect to both SATA sockets on the motherboard with two different data
cables. There were no working combinations. )

Motherboard: Asus A8V-E Deluxe
Case: Nexus Breeze (350W)
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA II
Bios version: 1008

I have also one PATA drive(primary master) and CD-ROM(secondary slave).
Old October 19th 05, 04:51 PM
Aggro

Aggro wrote:
I tried installing a new SATA II hard drive to A8V-E Deluxe motherboard.
But I noticed that bios doesn't detect it.

I solved my problem.

Western Digital drive has jumpers in it. I needed to add jumper which
sets the speed from 300 - 150 (SATA II to SATA I) and bios detected it
instantly. Information about jumpers can be found from Western Digital
website.
Old October 19th 05, 09:13 PM
Rila

"Aggro" wrote in message
Aggro wrote:
I tried installing a new SATA II hard drive to A8V-E Deluxe motherboard.
But I noticed that bios doesn't detect it.

I solved my problem.

Western Digital drive has jumpers in it. I needed to add jumper which sets
the speed from 300 - 150 (SATA II to SATA I) and bios detected it
instantly. Information about jumpers can be found from Western Digital
website.

Had the same problem with WD SATA drives, but only on the VIA controller.
They spun up fine on the Promise controller. Go figure.