Looking for a new printer that easy to maintain, supported in Debian/Linux, & supports LPT.

Old October 17th 04, 05:21 AM

Default Looking for a new printer that easy to maintain, supported in Debian/Linux, & supports LPT.

Hello,

I am planning to buy a new printer in a few weeks, but I need your
advices/suggestions.

What's the best printer brand and model that doesn't clog often, easy
to maintain, doesn't waste inks so much during warm up and cleaning,
etc. I also don't use the printer much as I used to do as a student. I
will print a few pages maybe once a week so the ink cartridges need to
stay in shape for a longer period of time, especially during heat waves
in Southern CA (sometimes 85+ degrees(F) in my tiny room). I also still
want to be able to print photographs in colors on glossy papers, but
this will be rare.

The printer should work in Windows 95 to XP, Linux, and MacOS X
(10.2.8; PowerBook G4 15" 1 Ghz). Parallel support would be nice for my
old Pentium 150 MMX laptop with Windows 95 OSR2. The printer should be
small. I have an Epson STYLUS Color 880 and had a HP 560c Deskjet so
that should give you the sizes.

Are there any upcoming printer sales in my area at Costco, Best Buy,
Circuit City, CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, The Good Guys, etc.? The
printer doesn't need to be the newest model either.

Thank you in advance.
--
"I once heard the survivors of a colony of ants that had been partially
obliterated by a cow's foot seriously debating the intention of the
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Old October 17th 04, 08:38 PM
ray

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:21:31 +0000, ANTan wrote:

[...]

Linux printing: choose PostScript or HP-PCL if possible. If the box says
it supports MS and MAC, it'll probably work with linux.

BTW - I have an Apollo P2200 (HP low cost version - cost about $50 at
OfficeMax a couple of years ago). trouble free, and works fine with linux.
I'd suggest a cheap HP - look for one with parallel and usb.

Old October 18th 04, 04:25 PM

Anyone?

In alt.comp.periphs.printers wrote:
[...]

At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
Old October 20th 04, 02:29 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:21:31 -0500, ANTant wrote:

[...]

All HP products are well supported in Linux. I've got an OfficeJet 6110
all in one that I got at Costco. It prints, scans, copies and FAXes. Both
the print and scan functions work fine with Mandrake 10.1C. Earlier
versions of Mandrake couldn't scan but the latest version fixed that.

Old October 21st 04, 09:42 PM

[...]

OK. It looks like both Epson and HP are the good brands that are
supported well under Linux (Debian) from what I read. Is it safe to buy
the NEWEST models or should I avoid them due to lack of driver support?
I don't really need those combo machine like OfficeJet. Just a printer
to print out Web pages, documents, greeting cards, and a few photos
(glossy).
Old October 21st 04, 09:44 PM

[...]

I have narrowed down to HP and Epson for brands from what I read for
Linux support. Do most newer models still have parallel (LPT) support?
Obviously, my PowerBook G4 will be using USB/firewire cable for
printing when needed.

Thank you in advance.
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

Xerox Phaser 8200 Solid Ink Printer Observations Guy Owen Printers 8 January 3rd 05 02:57 PM
hp printer slowing to a stop 2 tenchman Printers 4 August 6th 04 06:50 AM
Dell printer 960 gringo Dell Computers 5 April 9th 04 07:26 AM
Use Printer Off line; Minolta Page Pro 1250 not on network! Tom Duprex Printers 0 November 23rd 03 09:19 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM