939 Chipset - time to buy?

Old January 29th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default 939 Chipset - time to buy?

I have an a8n-sli p with an AMD 3000+ processor.

I've been watching the price of AMD 939 chips fall. Seems I can get
an AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor for
under $340, which appears to be a very good chip for this motherboard.

I've heard that AMD has quit manufacturing 939 chips. Does that mean
this is the time to buy? Are prices going to continue to fall, or
are we looking at prices going up as the supply goes down? Of
course, any comment would be best guess.

Old January 30th 07, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Al Pilarcik

edavid3001 wrote:
I have an a8n-sli p with an AMD 3000+ processor.

I've been watching the price of AMD 939 chips fall. Seems I can get
an AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor for
under $340, which appears to be a very good chip for this motherboard.

I've heard that AMD has quit manufacturing 939 chips. Does that mean
this is the time to buy? Are prices going to continue to fall, or
are we looking at prices going up as the supply goes down? Of
course, any comment would be best guess.

I doubt the price of Socket 939 processors will fall very much more since
both supply and demand are down.
Newegg has the retail box FX-55 single core for $100 less than the Opteron
185. If you do decide to upgrade the CPU, make sure your current BIOS will
play nicely with the new chip. Otherwise flash the BIOS from a floppy using
the old processor first.

Old January 31st 07, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Thanks. I think I will upgrade soon. I have 1GB. I think another
1GB will be enough for this system -- until it's Upgrade time again.
Some of the games are pushing 1GB, esp. when multitasking w/other apps
open.