Help: Recovery of Norton Ghost 2003 disk image with one missing .GHS file

Old May 15th 04, 07:41 AM
Alex

Default Help: Recovery of Norton Ghost 2003 disk image with one missing .GHS file

Greetings!

Ladies and gentlemen, I dearly need your help.. I have just
discovered that I was a victim of a Norton Ghost 2003 design flaw.

I have two drives that I backed up into disk images. The disk images
were called Laptopdrive1 (my main drive in the laptop) and laptop2
(second drive, the original shipping drive in my laptop)

Laptopdrive1.gho crated lapto001.ghs...lapto015.ghs files 2gb in size
each.

Laptop2.ghs came in just barely over 2gb.. giving me laptop2.ghs
and... lapto001.ghs! The lapto001.ghs from the original backup set
was overwritten.

This is lousy design on the part of Symantec.. it should warn you if
files created would overwrite existing files.. Most file compression
utilities use the original archive name, followed by some numerical
designation to make spanned archives, so why the switch to 8.3 naming
convention on the SUBSEQUENT span files?

My question:
Is there any way to force Ghost to recover the other 14 volumes of my
drive? I can hope that what was hit was either the Windows install,
or data files for applications that I can reinstall. There isn't much
on my laptop (I keep important stuff on my desktop machine), but it
will hurt to lose what I did have there..

Optimistically: does Ghost "back up" a file before unceremoniously
overwriting it? I searched for 2gb files on my desktop and couldn't
find any more than what was in the Ghost directory.

The disk backed up was a non-dynamic, regular, NTFS volume. Any help
will be appreciated.

Yours,

Alex Derevin
Old May 15th 04, 01:44 PM
Joep

"Alex" wrote in message
om...

This is lousy design on the part of Symantec.. it should warn you if
files created would overwrite existing files.. Most file compression
utilities use the original archive name, followed by some numerical
designation to make spanned archives, so why the switch to 8.3 naming
convention on the SUBSEQUENT span files?

Cause you need that when restoring from DOS. Plus, Ghost images are also
created in DOS mode if they didn't change that recently.

My question:
Is there any way to force Ghost to recover the other 14 volumes of my
drive?

No.

--
Joep