Norton Ghost 2003 restores entire *drive*, not just partition?

Old February 27th 04, 11:03 AM
mark

Default Norton Ghost 2003 restores entire *drive*, not just partition?

I tried using ghost from a previous version and when choosing "Partion
to Disk" it does not ask which partition and displays the size of the
full hard disk. (Hard disk has two partitions on it) ?

Norton Ghost 2003 restores entire *drive*, not just partition?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, comp.arch.storage
Date: 2004-01-15 17:03:21 PST

GHOST can do either a single partition or a whole drive. If multiple
partition, you can do those one at a time. The only thing you can not
do
with a single GHOST execution is backup more than one partition, but
less
than the full disk.

I often do exactly what you want, so I know that it works very well.

First, pay attention to the options on the GHOST screen. You want to
copy a
partition to an image. If you say disk to image, that is the whole
disk,
meaning all partitions.

Next, when restoring the partition image, be aware that GHOST assumes
that
you have already created all the partitions you want. This is true is
the
physical hard drive has not changed and you are merely recovering from
a bad
intall/uninstall of some program. However, if you have a new disk,
take a
moment to make partitions, first, then restore one (or more) GHOST
images of
partitions later. If the new disk is large, as is often the case,
feel free
to create more and/or large partitions. The only limitation when
dealing
with partition images is that the new partition is as large or larger
than
the partition in the image.

In the case of an image of a whole disk, GHOST will handle the
partitions
for you. depending on other options you set it will either make the
partitions the same size as on the original disk or expand them to
fill the
whole disk.

I have found that partition images are "safer" than disk images, since
it is
easy to misinterpret what GHOST will do with a disk image. Also,
avoid
the -IA and -IB options of GHOST; they rarely do what a normal user
wants.

"Matt" wrote in message
I ran a Notorn Ghost 2003 image restore on a multi-partition drive,
only to find that the one partition I was restoring seems to have been
"extended" to the entire drive.

Is this something that I possibly goofed? ie, I thought I had run the
Ghost backup after making multiple partitions on the drive, but maybe
I was mistaken.

Regardless, can Ghost 2003 take this example winXP onfig:

1 disk
C: = NTFS for WinXP OS (10GB)
D: = NTFS for "data" (10GB)

...and backup C:, then restore the image to C: sometime later all
without touching anything on D:? (This all assumes not partition-size
changes, of course.)

I'm worried that the Ghost restore will "extend" C: to the entire disk
and in the process wipe out D: as well. Very bad in my book.

Anybody done this before?

If Norton can't do this, what about Powerquest's Drive Image, and what
revs if so? Other alternatives?

Thanks for any help,
Matt
--
Remove the obvious text (including the dash) to email me.