Dell Dimension 4550 Case?

Old June 25th 03, 09:39 PM
Chad

Default Dell Dimension 4550 Case?

Hey Group,
Is the motherboard in the Dell 4550 able to be put in a ATX case? Such as
the one listed at tigerdirect:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?sku=DRG-C-BL

I have scuffed up my case- and want a new one.

Cheers

Old June 25th 03, 11:22 PM
TC

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?

sk
u=DRG-C-BL

I have scuffed up my case- and want a new one.

Cheers

/\/\/\/\
The holes in the 4550 motherboard will match up with those in any ATX
compatible case (that will hold at least a mini-ATX motherboard ... mini
is max size 9.6 x 9.6 inches )... The Dell board is actually only 8.6
inches deep ... (just like the Intel mini-ATX boards).

The board has two extra holes on the rear edge to provide support near
the cable sockets that are not in the ATX specification (no problem
since they are over and above what is required).

Make sure the powersupply you get in your replacement case is P4
compatible (two motherboard power connectors) as not all are.

The front panel connections are not standard .. (but then they aren't on
any board) and since Dell doesn't provide a wiring diagram in their
documentation you will have to play a little there to get those
connected properly (reset button, hd lamp etc etc etc).

IMHO as always ...
campbell

Old June 26th 03, 10:36 AM
Eddie Grant

"Chad" wrote in message
thnak you :-)
"TC" wrote in message
[...]

On a similar sort of subject, I have the Dim4400, and if i tried to upgrade
the mobo, would any micro ATX board fit, and would i be able to change the
front panel (replace it) to make it work properly?

Old June 26th 03, 04:37 PM
TC

"Eddie Grant" wrote in
:

/\/\/\/\
The holes in the 4550 motherboard will match up with those in any
ATX compatible case (that will hold at least a mini-ATX motherboard
... mini is max size 9.6 x 9.6 inches )... The Dell board is
actually only 8.6 inches deep ... (just like the Intel mini-ATX
boards).
snip

On a similar sort of subject, I have the Dim4400, and if i tried to
upgrade the mobo, would any micro ATX board fit, and would i be able
to change the front panel (replace it) to make it work properly?

/\/\/\/\
Eddie,
Without doing a great deal of "looking" at the 4400 it does appear to be
the same case as the 4550 so this ought to work.

mini-ATX boards (MicroATX) really will bolt right in the tray but you
will end up with three PCI slots instead of four.

While mini-ATX (MicroATX actually) can be up to 9.6 x 9.6 there are a
lot of them out there that are only 8.6 inches deep (Intels especially).
The Dell will take the deeper board but if you get the shorter one then
the drive cables will dress just perfectly.

For reference ... ATX motherboard specifications are at ...
http://www.formfactors.org/formfactors/form_factors.htm

AND AS A CORRECTION ....

what I have been referring to as "mini-ATX" in these last few posts
really is "MicroATX". My apologies .. no brain any more ... sigh ...

Of course .. you still have to duke out the front panel connections on
your own.
campbell