Intel based motherboard

Old January 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
ME

Default Intel based motherboard

Looking to build a big "gamer" system in a couple of months, I'll have about
$3000 to spend. What P-4 motherboard and video card would you recommend? CPU
will most likely be that new "Extreme". May even try one of the 3D glasses
as I've heard that in flight sim's they are cool.
ME

Old January 23rd 04, 12:40 AM
Philip Callan

Well, for a P4 motherboard, my recommendation is the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
CPU You wont really notice a big gaming difference as much with a Extreme
Edition,
as its bascially a repackaged Xeon, and made more for video editing,
rencoding etc...
I'd go with a P4C 3.0 and a decent Case (Antec Sonata is what I use and it
is sooooo
quiet)

R9700Pro is still a really good card, and you can normally pickup a R9700
Pro AIW for
the cost of a 9800 Pro non-aiw.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:55 AM
DaveW

In "a few months" a new generation of completely new CPU's, motherboards,
and video cards is due out. So ask your question again in a few months.

--
DaveW

Old January 23rd 04, 01:11 AM
ME

In the "few months" I will have already purchased most of the parts. I have
hopes it will be even sooner, just waiting for word on some financial
issues.
I'll be getting parts in lot's of like $500.00 at a time. I need more info
on the hot parts *now* as a place to start.
ME

Old January 23rd 04, 01:11 AM
ME

Yes, I was looking at the P4C800 Deluxe, only what's the "E" for? Does
Picard come in the box? (sic!) You don't think the 2 MB cache will do a lot
for the gaming, especially for flight sim's? I'm considering a Thermaltake
Xaser (Black & Red) case with the matching keyboard/mouse set. I'll have to
go look for the info on the R9700 Pro as I am not acquainted with it. I'm on
strong medication for a bad case of bronchitis right now so please keep that
in mind if my line of comment changes..
ME

Old January 23rd 04, 04:22 PM
ME

I was about to say the same thing Philip. The rig sounds great Leythos, but,
I wouldn't call it a "game machine", especially on the use of the dual CPU's
and server OS. I don't think any of my current 33 different flight sim's use
smp. Maybe for a server to play Elite Force/Delta Force or one of the
Rainbow series but not flight sim's. I also have noticed a problem with my
both the Couger and X-45's HOTAS's working correctly in any of the
NT/2000/2003 OS's. I just tried Windows 2003 on this thing (my P-III) and
they dont work. I cant even get 2003 to see my network card and load the
drivers. Anyway, that's for another group. One thing I have noticed, all the
recommendations so far only suggest a 128 MB video card, why not a 256 MB?
Didn't ATI come out with a real fast 256 MB dual output 8X agp?
ME

Old January 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Philip Callan

"ME" wrote in message
One thing I have noticed, all the
recommendations so far only suggest a 128 MB video card, why not a 256 MB?
Didn't ATI come out with a real fast 256 MB dual output 8X agp?
ME

Probably but most benchmarks I have seen are just that, neches, real world
gain from 4x-8x agp was
neglible, let along 128-256 MB at least for todays DX9 games, who knows
whats in the pipeline....

Old January 23rd 04, 07:17 PM
ME

"ME" wrote in message
One thing I have noticed, all the
recommendations so far only suggest a 128 MB video card, why not a 256

MB?
Didn't ATI come out with a real fast 256 MB dual output 8X agp?
ME

Probably but most benchmarks I have seen are just that, neches, real world
gain from 4x-8x agp was
neglible, let along 128-256 MB at least for todays DX9 games, who knows
whats in the pipeline....

Yes, the whole idea of "what's coming" has kept me from doing any upgrading
to this for some time. I've decided that it's time to change. Like going
from a Voodoo 5 5500 to this ATI 8500 LE has been a noticeable change in the
games. Like in F-22 Lighting 3, the Nuke wouldn't look right with the old
Voodoo but on this ATI it's juts about blinding. I've been assuming that the
same would be true to go up to 256 MB on an 8X agp slot like the P4C800 has.
I found the ATI 9800 Pro for about $400.00. I wonder, does anyone know of a
website that has the spec's of the most resent 128mb or better video cards
in a comparison. I heard that Asus makes a 9800 Pro. Any good? I will repeat
my earler question as I didn't see an answer, what does the "E" designation
on the board mean? Sorry if the joke about Picard setoff any responses. The
codeine in my medication makes me a little funny.
ME

Old January 23rd 04, 07:19 PM
ME

"Leythos" wrote in message
snip
I agree, not many games support SMP, but 2000 and XP does, and there's
more running on the system than just a Game.

The Dual Xeon P4 533/2.4G will out-perform the 3g P4 with XP Prof and it
costs less and provide more room for growth.

I guess the main point is that I see your spec's as being a great "server"
type computer not a "gamer" type as I am starting to build. I have even
considered building a Xeon based CPU with a PR-DLS533 for a server to play
off of but the total got out of hand. A few years back I ran a Dual CPU
Supermicro P6DBE system and was able to see the differance SMP can make,
but, as far as "more" running on the computer than a Game, my main intent
for this is a "gamer" system. I have MS Office and do some music but the
main thing is the gaming. I also aggree with you that a Dual Xeon would out
perform the P4 3g in XP as a "working" machine. Come on, cant I have a
little "fun"?
ME

Ghost speed differerent in AMD & Intel Zotin Khuma General 7 November 17th 04 06:56 AM
Replacing motherboard Bad Bubba Homebuilt PC's 8 October 24th 04 08:07 PM
Intel SE7501hg2 motherboard fan speed George General 0 September 11th 04 04:05 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
E139761 intel motherboard Maik Schulz General 3 October 21st 03 08:02 PM