Looking for a new Asus motherboard, need advice please

Old July 26th 03, 11:49 PM
vassili

Default Looking for a new Asus motherboard, need advice please

Hello NG !

I want to upgrade my computer and I'm looking for a new motherboard. Asus of
course ... (I've had a TX97, a P2B and now I have a CUBX, without any major
problem).
But I'm lost with all the new Asus MB models.
I need a motherboard
- supporting at least a 2 GHz (Intel, but why not an AMD if there is no
compatibility problem with hard or software)
- supporting at least 1 GB RAM (but I don't know wich type of RAM)
- integrated sound, 2 x firewire, 4 x USB, LAN, 2 serial, parallel,
- integrad video if the new one (not like the i810) are OK for photo and
video editing (I'm not a player)
- with at least 3 PCI and an AGP port
- with 4 IDE controllers for up to 8 IDE devices (like my CUBX)
Which MB model will match my needs ?

Thanks for your time and help
vassili

Old July 27th 03, 12:04 AM
PHil

I recommend the P4PE (intel i845PE chipset - I always go Intel chipset)
which supports up to 3.0GB, 533MHz FSB. Been using it for a while now and
it's a great board. If you want the 800MHz FSB P4 chips, the P4P800 (intel
chipset) is another great board.

-phil

Old July 27th 03, 02:40 AM
Paul

In article , "vassili"
wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, there is no summary page anymore, so you'll have to
visit the spec page for each board. I haven't read the specs for all
the boards, so the following are only general rules. You can start
he

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/mb/mbindex.htm

We live in the SATA/PATA transition era. This means it will be hard to
find a board with lots of PATA on it. The P4P800 Deluxe has more IDE
connectors, but the VT6410 is a RAID controller and I don't know if
there is an option to just do plain IDE or not. That is the first
board that comes to mind.

For integrated video, look at the boards with -V, -VM, -MX in the name.
Usually, these are smaller boards, with three PCI slots. Most have an
AGP slot as well.

The boards that end in -X are usually severely "cost reduced" boards,
that sometimes are missing critical adjustments. If you like the
prices on the -X board, download the manual for the -X board and for
the board without the -X in the name and compare the details page by
page. That is the only way to tell what shortcuts are inside the -X
board, as Asus isn't forthcoming with the info.

You could open up a lot more possibilities for yourself by buying
a two port Promise IDE card, like a TX2 on this page:

http://www.promise.com/product/produ...asp?familyId=3

Since cards like this are sometimes bundled with IDE drives at retail,
you should be able to get a used card dirt cheap.

Also, since integrated video solutions are all low performance, you
could buy a low end AGP video card instead and get the same level of
performance. If you go to http://www.pricewatch.com and click the
"Video Cards" link, you'll find various low end Nvidia MX cards for
as low as $25 to $35.

By using an IDE card and a cheap video card, this would allow you to
select from a few more motherboard choices. Otherwise, I don't know
whether a microATX board would have the IDE interfaces you need
as well as the rest of the I/O.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 27th 03, 10:55 PM
Eddie

"vassili" wrote in message
Hello NG !

I want to upgrade my computer and I'm looking for a new motherboard. Asus

of
course ... (I've had a TX97, a P2B and now I have a CUBX, without any

major
problem).
But I'm lost with all the new Asus MB models.
I need a motherboard
- supporting at least a 2 GHz (Intel, but why not an AMD if there is no
compatibility problem with hard or software)
- supporting at least 1 GB RAM (but I don't know wich type of RAM)
- integrated sound, 2 x firewire, 4 x USB, LAN, 2 serial, parallel,

I have the ASUS P4P800 Delux.

It has, like virtually all boards, integrated sound, 4 USB but like most,
only ONE LAN and ONE Serial port. You can easily add more of these ports via
on board connectors or failing that, PCI cards.

- integrad video if the new one (not like the i810) are OK for photo and
video editing (I'm not a player)
- with at least 3 PCI and an AGP port

The board has 5 PCI slots. Forget Integrated video. You're far better off
getting a modest AGP card (why did you want an AGP slot if you want on-board
video?) All modern boards have agp. The ASUS P4P800 Delux supports AGP x 8.

- with 4 IDE controllers for up to 8 IDE devices (like my CUBX)
Which MB model will match my needs ?

You have 2 IDE ports, 2 Raid ports and 2 SATA ports. if you want more...PCI
controller cards.

Thanks for your time and help
vassili

Hope this helps