Is Intel 3100 graphics good enough for average gaming?

Old September 1st 07, 06:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Is Intel 3100 graphics good enough for average gaming?

I am going to buy some new Dell minitower for my 10y daughter.
She plays The Sims2 and similar things.
Since I never play games or videos, I have no ideas about what is needed today.

As processor I think I must choose a core2duo.
And, being short of money, I would like to take the onboard graphics option.
The good thing with onboard graphics is less noise and less powerdrain.
But is it good enough. ???

Another question, that Dell omits to inform about on the ordering forms, is : can you
add a PCIexpress card later on ?

Old September 4th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Victor

On Sep 1, 1:23 am, " wrote:
I am going to buy some new Dell minitower for my 10y daughter.
She plays The Sims2 and similar things.
Since I never play games or videos, I have no ideas about what is needed today.

As processor I think I must choose a core2duo.
And, being short of money, I would like to take the onboard graphics option.
The good thing with onboard graphics is less noise and less powerdrain.
But is it good enough. ???

Another question, that Dell omits to inform about on the ordering forms, is : can you
add a PCIexpress card later on ?

For gaming get at least an 8600gt.To save money go with the Dell 531
with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ but do get the 8600gt.Even the
8300 or 8400 are too slow for gaming.

Old September 4th 07, 07:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

For gaming get at least an 8600gt.To save money go with the Dell 531
with AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ but do get the 8600gt.Even the
8300 or 8400 are too slow for gaming.

Thanks for this valuable tip.

But now I have another problem:
The Dell531 is only available with Vista in my country.

I expect that my daughters friends will come with a lot of old games.
Will Vista accept that?

And, -if not- will Dell help me with XPdrivers on the 531 ???

Old September 5th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Running older software, especially games, on Vista is a roll of the dice.

Dell will provide ZERO help with XP drivers for any of its computers unless the
computer model is sold somewhere with XP. Even so, you may need to do your own
research to find the drivers... Ben Myers

Old September 5th 07, 09:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Ben Myers" skrev i en meddelelse
Running older software, especially games, on Vista is a roll of the dice.

Dell will provide ZERO help with XP drivers for any of its computers unless the
computer model is sold somewhere with XP. Even so, you may need to do your own
research to find the drivers... Ben Myers

The result is that I am going to buy a secondhand Dell with XP instead of a new one with
Vista.
Pity for Dell....

Old September 5th 07, 11:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

" wrote in message

"Ben Myers" skrev i en meddelelse
Running older software, especially games, on Vista is a roll of the dice.

Dell will provide ZERO help with XP drivers for any of its computers
unless the
computer model is sold somewhere with XP. Even so, you may need to do
your own
research to find the drivers... Ben Myers

The result is that I am going to buy a secondhand Dell with XP instead of
a new one with Vista.
Pity for Dell....

Such is life. You're certainly not alone in that.

Old September 5th 07, 02:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The only possibility is to buy the computer with Vista already installed, make
written note of ALL the hardware device drivers used, and look for them on the
internet, probably at the web sites of the chipset manufacturers. If all the
drivers are available and downloaded, burn a CD or make up a memory stick with
all the drivers, wipe the hard drive, get a legit copy of Win XP, and install.
If the drivers are not all available, then live with XP or maybe Linux.

Yes, this is a lot of work. I did something similar for a client who wanted
the newest possible P4 system capable of running WINDOWS 98 ! He got a
Dimension 2350 with all of its chipsets supported by Windows 98. These things
are possible, but only with considerable effort and zero help from the computer
manufacturer, Dell, HP, Acergate-machines or otherwise... Ben Myers

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:14:36 +0200, " wrote:

.. .