New card install problems

Old May 11th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Marnok.com

Default New card install problems

I think maybe I stumbled on a step of installation... or something.

My problem is this:

Just installing a new BFG 7600GS OC AGP.

After installation, the drivers are not in place and the card is clearly not
accelerated (2d stuff on desktop is slow)

Device manager reports I have "Other Devices : Video Controller (VGA
compatible)" which I cannot get rid of by delete (but I have disabled)

I can change screen resolutions and colour depth OK...

when I try to reinstall drivers I get the message "The system has not been
modified"

Can anyone give me a clue what I should be doing to get this card fully
installed?

http://www.marnok.com

Old May 11th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Marnok.com wrote:
I think maybe I stumbled on a step of installation... or something.

My problem is this:

Just installing a new BFG 7600GS OC AGP.

After installation, the drivers are not in place and the card is clearly not
accelerated (2d stuff on desktop is slow)

Device manager reports I have "Other Devices : Video Controller (VGA
compatible)" which I cannot get rid of by delete (but I have disabled)

I can change screen resolutions and colour depth OK...

when I try to reinstall drivers I get the message "The system has not been
modified"

Can anyone give me a clue what I should be doing to get this card fully
installed?

When I change video cards, this is the order I use:

1) Remove the old driver via Add/Remove.
2) Shut down the computer.
3) Remove old video card. Install new video card.
4) Boot up. Install new driver.

The idea is, to not leave the old drivers on there. And they can be
difficult to clean up later. One "driver cleaner" type application I
tried, missed some stuff. So using Add/Remove, while the old
card is in there, does as good a job as any.

Paul
Old May 12th 07, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rev. G.G. Willikers

Paul wrote:
Marnok.com wrote:
[...]

I have used Driver Cleaner Pro with no adverse effects after step 1.
http://www.download3k.com/System-Uti...fessional.html

Old May 12th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
devin1100[_8_]

go into safemode and reinstall drivers.
if you dont know how what you do is restart the computer and hit f8
untill it pops up a menu select run in safe mode when it loads loggin
and install your drivers then restart and se if it worked

--
devin1100
Old May 12th 07, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Nicole & Tom Guymer

Marnok.com wrote:
I think maybe I stumbled on a step of installation... or something.

My problem is this:

Just installing a new BFG 7600GS OC AGP.

After installation, the drivers are not in place and the card is clearly not
accelerated (2d stuff on desktop is slow)

Device manager reports I have "Other Devices : Video Controller (VGA
compatible)" which I cannot get rid of by delete (but I have disabled)

I can change screen resolutions and colour depth OK...

when I try to reinstall drivers I get the message "The system has not been
modified"

Can anyone give me a clue what I should be doing to get this card fully
installed?

The latest version of the Vista driver from Nvidia includes a driver
removal step. Not sure if this is in the xp driver. If so, then you
can just turn off, change the card, run the driver install, and all will
be well.

Regards,

Tom

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000739-3, 05/11/2007
Tested on: 5/12/2007 12:10:35 PM