Hooking my laptop to a TV--how

Old June 23rd 11, 05:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB[_2_]

Default Hooking my laptop to a TV--how

OK -- I just bought a new Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV.

I have a laptop but it does not have an HDMI port. It does have a
different port (3 rows, 5 pins each , is that a VGA port?).

The TV does have some HDMI ports as well as a USB port and I guess the
composite ports (red-yellow-green). Is there a cable I can buy that will
allow me to use this TV as a monitor with my laptop? If so, would it be
a VGA/composite or VGA/USB or what? I would like to sit about 13' in
front of the TV so obviously I'd need a long cable (say a 15' cable).
Would such a long cable diminish the quality of the output?

Mel
Old June 23rd 11, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

MZB wrote:
OK -- I just bought a new Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV.

I have a laptop but it does not have an HDMI port. It does have a
different port (3 rows, 5 pins each , is that a VGA port?).

The TV does have some HDMI ports as well as a USB port and I guess the
composite ports (red-yellow-green). Is there a cable I can buy that will
allow me to use this TV as a monitor with my laptop? If so, would it be
a VGA/composite or VGA/USB or what? I would like to sit about 13' in
front of the TV so obviously I'd need a long cable (say a 15' cable).
Would such a long cable diminish the quality of the output?

Mel

Not wishing to be a PITA, but different TVs work differently. Did yours
come with a user manual, or a toll-free number to call?

Daddy
Old June 23rd 11, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB[_2_]

On 6/23/2011 12:48 PM, Daddy wrote:
MZB wrote:
OK -- I just bought a new Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV.

I have a laptop but it does not have an HDMI port. It does have a
different port (3 rows, 5 pins each , is that a VGA port?).

The TV does have some HDMI ports as well as a USB port and I guess the
composite ports (red-yellow-green). Is there a cable I can buy that
will allow me to use this TV as a monitor with my laptop? If so, would
it be a VGA/composite or VGA/USB or what? I would like to sit about
13' in front of the TV so obviously I'd need a long cable (say a 15'
cable). Would such a long cable diminish the quality of the output?

Mel

Not wishing to be a PITA, but different TVs work differently. Did yours
come with a user manual, or a toll-free number to call?

Daddy

The user manual sucks.

But, I did think there was a standard answer! Guess not.

Mel
Old June 23rd 11, 06:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Jun 23, 11:28*am, MZB wrote:
OK -- I just bought a new Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV.

I have a laptop but it does not have an HDMI port. It does have a
different port (3 rows, 5 pins each , is that a VGA port?).

The TV does have some HDMI ports as well as a USB port and I guess the
composite ports (red-yellow-green). Is there a cable I can buy that will
allow me to use this TV as a monitor with my laptop? If so, would it be
a VGA/composite or VGA/USB or what? I would like to sit about 13' in
front of the TV so obviously I'd need a long cable (say a 15' cable).
Would such a long cable diminish the quality of the output?

Mel

That is VGA and 15' would probably be the max for it.
Old June 23rd 11, 06:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

MZB wrote:
OK -- I just bought a new Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV.

I have a laptop but it does not have an HDMI port. It
does have a
different port (3 rows, 5 pins each , is that a VGA port?).

The TV does have some HDMI ports as well as a USB port
and I guess the
composite ports (red-yellow-green). Is there a cable I
can buy that
will allow me to use this TV as a monitor with my laptop?
If so, would
it be a VGA/composite or VGA/USB or what? I would like to
sit aboutof the
13' in front of the TV so obviously I'd need a long cable
(say a 15'
cable). Would such a long cable diminish the quality of
the output?

Mel

Not wishing to be a PITA, but different TVs work
differently. Did yours
come with a user manual, or a toll-free number to call?
is
Daddy

The user manual sucks.

But, I did think there was a standard answer! Guess not.

Mel

A cable is not possible for either of the 2 alternatives.
A Converter for VGA to HDMI is one choice. The other is a
converter for VGA to Composite(Red,White and Yellow). The
Composite Converter is cheaper but 13' is to long a distance
for analog cables. HDMI cables can be up to 15'.
There are VGA to HDMI Cables being sold, but they will NOT
work. vGA is Analog while HDMI is Digital and also carries
the Audio Digitally.

Old June 23rd 11, 07:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

I personally have never seen a flat panel TV without a VGA input.
Regardless of size.
Old June 23rd 11, 08:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

MZB wrote:

OK -- I just bought a new Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV.

I have a laptop but it does not have an HDMI port. It does have a
different port (3 rows, 5 pins each , is that a VGA port?).

Glad you posted this question as I'm wanting to do a
similar thing EXCEPT I have HDMI connections in BOTH
the laptop and HDTV.

So is a 15 foot HDMI cable between the two capable of
handling both audio and video?

And is a cable a better solution overall than doing
this wireless somehow?