Can desktop act as "wireless" router?

Old February 8th 11, 07:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Default Can desktop act as "wireless" router?

wrote:
Rather than buying a stand alone wireless router....can
a person just configure his desktop with wireless card
to ACT as a wireless "router" and save some desk space
if short on space?

I understand your current resources to consist of -1- cable modem
presumably with ethernet connectivity -2- laptop with ethernet and
wireless capability both -3- a small living area as well as little
desktop space

You are considering adding a desktop to the mix and so you need a local
network which you would like to be wireless and wired.

'Everyone' does that by acquiring a wired/wireless router to connect
that to the cable modem's ethernet. Doing it some other way is not
sensible/practical.

Depending on how things are laid out, the location of the cable modem is
typically close to where the cable comes into the residence, and the
location of the router is often close to the cable modem, but it doesn't
have to be that way. You can have lots of cable distance and sufficient
ethernet distance to position things how you like.

The benefits of the small little router are that it is an economical way
to have a lot of different functionality in a single unit which doesn't
use much juice and is typically left on all the time.

--
Mike Easter
Old February 8th 11, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

John wrote:

You can buy a cable modem that will also broadcast WIFI from the cable
company

Are these combo "cable modems" and "routers a good
idea?

Or still best to have separate units?
Old February 8th 11, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

me privacy.net wrote:

John John nowhere.com wrote:

You can buy a cable modem that will also broadcast WIFI from the
cable company

Are these combo "cable modems" and "routers a good idea?

My 2-Wire HomePortal 1000 has worked well for many years, as a DSL
modem and home WiFi in one. Unless you see lots of negativity, I
would assume the combination works well. Read reviews. And
especially if you are easily confused, the combo might be less of
a hassle.

If I were still confused, I would ask in a cable modem group,
either on UseNet or on the web. Typical cable modem users would be
the most knowledgeable about which equipment works well.

Good luck and have fun.
--

Or still best to have separate units?

news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!
individual.net!not-for-mail
From: me privacy.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Can desktop act as "wireless" router?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:54:00 -0600

jLmdnZurW5SR9s3QnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d mchsi.com
kdt0l6lqb8vr08jvk0jcch6anbeg92el6a 4ax.com
E82dnRPB47Q45s3QnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d mchsi.com
3hv0l61qijmu46pvh60hn1avqbd7dp4iid 4ax.com cu04p.57$7i4.41
news.usenetserver.com

S3LPzkZit6tvYYZw2siivgzISbkG5pIU3Zr/od7HIlUuGTgMND

Old February 8th 11, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 2/8/2011 1:54 PM, wrote:
wrote:

You can buy a cable modem that will also broadcast WIFI from the cable
company

Are these combo "cable modems" and "routers a good
idea?

Or still best to have separate units?

Outside of the technical aspects, I don't like modem/router combos. I
prefer to have my home network established and just plug the appropriate
modem into it for my provider. For example:

I'm currently shopping for a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem to get ready for
IPv6. Motorola makes one that looks good, the SB6121, and it retails
for about $100. For an extra $35, I can get a unit that combines a
DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a Wireless-N/Gigabit router. Even though I
already have a Wireless-N/Gigabit router in place, it's attractive to be
able to simplify my network some with that combo unit.

The downside, however, is that if I were to go to a different provider,
like DSL from my telephone company, I would not be able to use that
combo unit as a gateway router.

Maybe if I could get a unit that was DOCSIS 3.0 + whatever the
current/next DSL standard is + Wireless-N + Gigabit, I would consider
it, but it just seems easier to work out a local area network with the
capabilities I want, and a single, simple, ethernet connection to the
appropriate provider-approved modem.

Old February 12th 11, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 9/02/2011 9:48 AM, Grinder wrote:
On 2/8/2011 1:54 PM, wrote:
wrote:

You can buy a cable modem that will also broadcast WIFI from the cable
company

Are these combo "cable modems" and "routers a good
idea?

Or still best to have separate units?

Outside of the technical aspects, I don't like modem/router combos. I
prefer to have my home network established and just plug the appropriate
modem into it for my provider. For example:

You work in the opposite manner to me. I prefer to leave the cable side
of things undisturbed and twiddle with the home network.

I'm currently shopping for a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem to get ready for
IPv6. Motorola makes one that looks good, the SB6121, and it retails for
about $100. For an extra $35, I can get a unit that combines a DOCSIS
3.0 modem with a Wireless-N/Gigabit router. Even though I already have a
Wireless-N/Gigabit router in place, it's attractive to be able to
simplify my network some with that combo unit.

The downside, however, is that if I were to go to a different provider,
like DSL from my telephone company, I would not be able to use that
combo unit as a gateway router.

That was one of my concerns early in the piece but, since I have
remained with the same provider for a dozen years, my concerns were
unfounded. As an aside, my provider charges $100 to register a modem not
provided by them but nothing if they supply it!