What "adult" case for low cost PC build?

Old January 29th 11, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John

Default What "adult" case for low cost PC build?

jinxy wrote:
On Jan 29, 6:07 pm, wrote:
Grinder wrote:
On 1/29/2011 3:48 PM, John wrote:
wrote:
I am a cost conscious college student needing a good
QUALITY PC to hook up to my HDTV and use as a
entertainment center

I don't want to spend more than abt $300 on the PC
build.

I know I could buy a cheapie off the shelf system for
this amount but the case on such units seem so FLIMSY!

Id rather spend some dollars up front open a GOOD
QUALITY case and cheapen the components a bit as this
would allow me a good upgrade path on parts in the
future.

Also, I want a full size mid tower case.... not a shoe
box or mini case... so I can easily get my fat hands
inside the thing when needed lol!

Bottom line.... I've never built a PC in my life.....
but what would you guys recommend as a GOOD case and
power supply to use as a "base" for above requirements?

I've looked at Lian Li and Antec.... but there are so
many choices it is almost dizzying!

I just bought an Antic III case. I can vouch for it being a very clean
case that includes a quality 500W power supply. The external drive bays
are hidden behind a front door and it has a gloss black finish. Its a
mid-tower with plenty of room inside. Installing the guts of the
computer was a breeze and I, like you, have large hands.

But its not cheap, I paid $134 with shipping from Newegg right after
Christmas, but remember that includes a good power supply, something
that you would need anyway.

I'll be honest with you, $300 is just not going to cover what you want
to do unless you can salvage a good many parts from another comp.

Just a small clarification here for the OP: John is referring to the
Antec Sonata III 500.

I have one of those cases as well, and can vouch for it's convenience
and construction. The only changes I would make to the case:

1) Power button on the front of the case, instead of hidden behind the
external bay door.

2) A more durable mechanism for holding in the air filter--they're easy
to break when removing them.

Oops, thanks for the correction.

John- Hide quoted text -

Why not check out Tigerdirect or Newegg for a barebones, there are
quite a few to choose from in various price ranges.
.-J

You should do the same. The op didn't say he already had some parts. I
just built one and I had *no* parts other than the OS and believe me
$300 isn't even close.

John
Old January 30th 11, 08:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Jan 29, 1:20 pm, wrote:

Bottom line.... I've never built a PC in my life.....
but what would you guys recommend as a GOOD case and
power supply to use as a "base" for above requirements?

I wouldn't ignore the non-adult case when it's a well-rated
namebrand. Running a "GameBoy" case for the longest time, all-
aluminum Antec, that was top-notch construction for what it was
intended. Lightweight precision. It'll be recommissioned one of
these days when I clean out the Fortron server 450W PS unit inside
(thick-as-brick with its electronics). Offerings now in case
constructions are pretty good -- with a little care (read the reviews
thoroughly when available and think through specs), there's sweet
deals to be had. Time being, using a steel offbrand from NewEgg I
paid half, $28US & shipped, which does an excellent job at what it
*needs* to do -- keeping airflow over the HDs and to the CPU (no hiend
GPU in my box). Tons of fan routing options, more than I need. Very
pleased.
Old January 30th 11, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Flasherly wrote:

I wouldn't ignore the non-adult case when it's a well-rated
namebrand. Running a "GameBoy" case for the longest time, all-
aluminum Antec, that was top-notch construction for what it was

OK

I actually like the "concept" of the Lanboy AIR
model... the modular concept

But would that be too big and bulky vs a reg mid tower
case?
Old January 31st 11, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo[_2_]

wrote in message
I am a cost conscious college student needing a good
QUALITY PC to hook up to my HDTV and use as a
entertainment center

I don't want to spend more than abt $300 on the PC
build.

I know I could buy a cheapie off the shelf system for
this amount but the case on such units seem so FLIMSY!

snip

I really don't see the importance of the case...
I'd put my money into the "guts" of it.

FWIW: When I built a hi-end machine for my wife...I purchased a top of the
line
Antic server case. The first time I touched it the door broke off!

Old January 31st 11, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John

philo wrote:
wrote in message
I am a cost conscious college student needing a good
QUALITY PC to hook up to my HDTV and use as a
entertainment center

I don't want to spend more than abt $300 on the PC
build.

I know I could buy a cheapie off the shelf system for
this amount but the case on such units seem so FLIMSY!

snip

I really don't see the importance of the case...
I'd put my money into the "guts" of it.

FWIW: When I built a hi-end machine for my wife...I purchased a top of the
line
Antic server case. The first time I touched it the door broke off!

You have to unlock it first, the door on my Antic Sonata 500 was shipped
locked.

John
Old January 31st 11, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

John wrote:

philo wrote:
wrote in message
I am a cost conscious college student needing a good
QUALITY PC to hook up to my HDTV and use as a
entertainment center

I don't want to spend more than abt $300 on the PC
build.

I know I could buy a cheapie off the shelf system for
this amount but the case on such units seem so FLIMSY!

snip

I really don't see the importance of the case...
I'd put my money into the "guts" of it.

FWIW: When I built a hi-end machine for my wife...I purchased a top of the
line
Antic server case. The first time I touched it the door broke off!

You have to unlock it first, the door on my Antic Sonata 500 was shipped
locked.

John

And if the door easily breaks off then what is the point of a lock?
Old January 31st 11, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"philo" wrote:
[..........]
I really don't see the importance of the case...

Case and fan layout can affect cooling drastically.
Steel cases are quieter and less flexible than aluminum cases.
(Are you going to take the PC to gaming parties or use it for
school work, office work, or livingroom media control?)
Sharp edges can lacerate hands and fingers.
Some cases have space for USB and memory card jacks
in the front, some in the back.

I, personally, would put a lot of consideration into choosing
a case.

*TimDaniels*

Old January 31st 11, 08:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo[_2_]

"John" wrote in message
philo wrote:
wrote in message
I am a cost conscious college student needing a good
QUALITY PC to hook up to my HDTV and use as a
entertainment center

I don't want to spend more than abt $300 on the PC
build.

I know I could buy a cheapie off the shelf system for
this amount but the case on such units seem so FLIMSY!

snip

I really don't see the importance of the case...
I'd put my money into the "guts" of it.

FWIW: When I built a hi-end machine for my wife...I purchased a top of
the
line
Antic server case. The first time I touched it the door broke off!

You have to unlock it first, the door on my Antic Sonata 500 was shipped
locked.

John

No **** Sherlock

anyway it was the cheapie hinges that broke

Old January 31st 11, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

Case and fan layout can affect cooling drastically.
Steel cases are quieter and less flexible than aluminum cases.

Do you prefer steel over aluminum?