Whats the difference

Old February 8th 04, 08:39 PM
Mark Pearson

Default Whats the difference

Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between a Nvidia GeForce
FX5900 and a FX5900XT?

Also I have read that there are problems with Nvidia cards when playing DX9
games. Is this true?

My reason for asking is I currently have a GeForce 4 MX440 and am thinking
of upgrading so I will be ready for Doom III and Half Life 2, it is also to
boost my performance with TRAINZ.

THX

Mark

Old February 8th 04, 08:58 PM
chris

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between a Nvidia GeForce
FX5900 and a FX5900XT?

Also I have read that there are problems with Nvidia cards when playing

DX9
games. Is this true?

My reason for asking is I currently have a GeForce 4 MX440 and am thinking
of upgrading so I will be ready for Doom III and Half Life 2, it is also

boost my performance with TRAINZ.

THX

Mark

Fx5900 gpu - 400mhz ram - 850mhz(?)
Fx5900xt gpu - 400mhz ram - 700mhz

There are some ppl selling creative fx5900's on ebay which have 700mhz ram,
making them fx5900xt.
Look at exactly what you are buying b4 you hand over your cash.

I wouldn't say fx's have a problem with dx9. They just dont appear to run
as fast in full dx9 games as ati cards.
No big deal to *most* ppl, some get sweaty palms and turn psycho!

once you get past fx5700U or fx5900 then you really start to notice the
difference from the gf4ti4*00 line in performance in games where all the
bells and whistles are turned on. remember when fps dived when you ran thru
the smoke? no more, woohoo!

GF4MX440 is relatively equal to the old gf2pro/ultra performance wise
(except the gf4 is dx8).
Fx5900/xt is a big leap in performance from what you have.

chris
*these are just the opinions of the voices in my head and not the author*

Old February 8th 04, 09:57 PM
Mark Pearson

Thanks Cris,

From the sound of it you think I should go for it then.

Is it worth spending the extra cash and get the Ultra model?

THX

Mark

Old February 8th 04, 10:26 PM
chris

Mark,

Personally I would go for a fx5900, you'd be more than happy with that I'd
expect.

Below is a link to the cheapest fx5900's I've seen yet. £140 is stunning
value ( + £5p&p)

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=2S00

I bought one last time they had them in stock and I'm very impressed with
it.
The only thing is that they give you the 44.04 drivers. Go to nvidia.com
and get the 53.03's

Mine overclocks to fx5900ultra speeds easy, but needed coolbits with the
53.03's

HTH

chris

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Thanks Cris,

From the sound of it you think I should go for it then.

Old February 8th 04, 10:57 PM
Mark Pearson

Ok Chris.

Now I am going to sho you what a real newbie I am to all
this.......Coolbits?

"chris" wrote in message
Mark,

Personally I would go for a fx5900, you'd be more than happy with that I'd
expect.

Below is a link to the cheapest fx5900's I've seen yet. £140 is stunning
value ( + £5p&p)

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=2S00

I bought one last time they had them in stock and I'm very impressed with
it.
The only thing is that they give you the 44.04 drivers. Go to nvidia.com
and get the 53.03's

Mine overclocks to fx5900ultra speeds easy, but needed coolbits with the
53.03's

HTH

chris

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Thanks Cris,

From the sound of it you think I should go for it then.

Old February 8th 04, 11:05 PM
chris

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Ok Chris.

Now I am going to sho you what a real newbie I am to all
this.......Coolbits?

If you right-click on the desktop, then click on properties,
then click on settings.. ..then click on advanced..
...then click on the tab with your gfx cards name on it..
you will be able to change alot of the settings for your gfx card.

coolbits is a registry tweak that adds a setting here to alter
the speed of the gpu (gfx card processor) and the ram on the card.
just lets you o/c it basically.

search for 'coolbits' on google.

chris

Old February 8th 04, 11:12 PM
bluestringer

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Ok Chris.

Now I am going to sho you what a real newbie I am to all
this.......Coolbits?

This will help: http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/

bluestringer

Old February 8th 04, 11:24 PM
Mark Pearson

Thanks for all your help guys.....I think I will order that card Chris.

I have looked on the Aopen website and it say's the card supports AGP 4x and
8x. How can I confirm the bus speed on my AGP port. I think it's Probably 4x
but I would like to be sure before ordering.

THX

Old February 8th 04, 11:41 PM
chris

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Thanks for all your help guys.....I think I will order that card Chris.

I have looked on the Aopen website and it say's the card supports AGP 4x

and
8x. How can I confirm the bus speed on my AGP port. I think it's Probably

4x
but I would like to be sure before ordering.

THX

If you right-click on the desktop, then click on properties,
then click on settings.. ..then click on advanced..
...then click on the tab with your gfx cards name on it..
you will be able to change alot of the settings for your gfx card

It should show you here what bus speed you are running at.
If you're running a gf4mx440 now then you will probably run the fx5900 ok.

What motherboard are you using??

I had to go into the bios and change mine from 4x to 8x. Thats all.

Don't worry too much if your motherboard doesnt allow 8x.
The improvements on the card alone will make a huge difference alone.

chris

Old February 10th 04, 02:44 AM
warlord716

"Mark Pearson" wrote in message
Thanks Cris,

From the sound of it you think I should go for it then.

Is it worth spending the extra cash and get the Ultra model?

I would not reccomend this. For approx 170 USD you can get the regular 5900
as opposed to god knows how much for the ultra.
But basically the 5900s (especially the BFG ones) can be flashed to a 5950
ultra. They are fully capable of this.

google for more info...i know there are guides out there showing you step by
step info

THX

Mark