Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - RAM?

Old February 28th 08, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

Default Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - RAM?

Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - What RAM would you recommend?

Someone told me this motherboard is "really fast", so it should have
fast ram. What do you think?
Old February 28th 08, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Augustus

"bornfree" wrote in message
Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - What RAM would you recommend?

Someone told me this motherboard is "really fast", so it should have
fast ram. What do you think?

I think you should read the manual and purchase RAM according to your
planned use which may or may not include overclocking. Gigabytes website has
a detailed PDF on memory support brands and types. It's not a DDR3 board or
a 1333Mhz board. It's a DDR2 1066Mhz board. So I wouldn't recomend you go
out and buy "really fast" RAM without doing some checking.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2533

Old February 28th 08, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_3_]

'bornfree' wrote:
Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - What RAM would you recommend?

Someone told me this motherboard is "really fast", so it should have
fast ram. What do you think?

_____

You should select RAM based on the FSB speed for the CPU. And on whether or
not you intend to overclock by raising the FSB speed. And whether or not
you wish to run the Memory clock synched to the CPU clock. And whether or
not you are willing to spend the money for the diminishing performance
returns as you increase the RAM speed. And THAT is affected by the size of
the L2 cache, the applications you use, and the number of cores in the CPU.
FINALLY, after all those decisions, THEN you want to make sure the
motherboard can handle the Memory clock speed of the RAM you select.

Oh, yes, also you must select the right TYPE of RAM for the motherboard DDR2
or DDR3.

And every thing 'Augustus' posted.

Plus consider that a 32-bit Windows operating system can't use much more
than 2 GBytes of memory, especially if you one or two display adapters with
large memories (each byte of display adapter memory makes one byte of
motherboard memory between 2 GBytes and 4 GBytes unusable.

Phil Weldon

Old February 28th 08, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Unknown

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:48:42 -0800 (PST), bornfree
wrote:

,;Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - What RAM would you recommend?
,;
,;Someone told me this motherboard is "really fast", so it should have
,;fast ram. What do you think?

I can't speak to this board but I can speak to its sister, the
GA-P35-DS3L.

I ordered this board as a bundle assembled and tested. I usually do
this as I feel the extra $10 is worthwhile while to avoid DOA
components.

No problem with sticking it in the case and firing it up with a live
CD (Reatogo) so I went ahead with the installation (Vista). It got
about 3/4 of the way through installation and hung. Tried again and
same result. Tried a different Vista CD with the same result. Three
different XP CDs and one Win2000 Pro also hung part way through the
installation.

I suspected bad memory so I removed one stick (1GB). Now it booted to
the splash screen and hung. Problem solved? Not quite. Switched to the
other memory stick and it hung on the first splash screen again.

I called the vendor tech support and discussed the situation. He
looked up the order and they had installed DDR2 533 memory. The board
supports DDR2 667, 800, & 1066.

We did a memory exchange and the OS installation went flawlessly.

The moral to the story... Stay with the memory recommended by the
board manufacturer.

Old February 28th 08, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Unknown wrote:

The moral to the story... Stay with the memory recommended by the
board manufacturer.

No, the moral of the story is that not all stories have morals.

Always run Memtest before you even *think* about installing the operating
system.

Old February 29th 08, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_3_]

'Fishface' wrote:
No, the moral of the story is that not all stories have morals.

Always run Memtest before you even *think* about installing the operating
system.

_____

"No, the moral of the story is that not all stories have morals." Soon to
be a classic B^)

Phil Weldon

Old March 1st 08, 01:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

On 28 Feb, 12:27, Unknown wrote:

I called the vendor tech support and discussed the situation. He
looked up the order and they had installed DDR2 533 memory. The board
supports DDR2 667, 800, & 1066.

I currently have DDR2 800 installed. Will going up to 1066 make a
noticeable difference to performance?

My CPU is an Intel E6300 OC'd to 2.8Ghz. My HDD is a 500GB Samsung
7,200RPM SATA.
Old March 1st 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bob johnson

Hi Guys

I have this same MB and 4GB of this ram:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231098

Vista is giving me a 4.8 rating (lowest one) and I wondered if my bios
settings are set wrong?

I'm running a C2D 4500 2.4@ 2.9 mhz on "auto voltage" (OC setting) or
similiar.

all my friends w/the same ram on Asus MB's are getting a rating of 5.7/5.8.

thx

bob

Old March 1st 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

bob johnson wrote:
Hi Guys

I have this same MB and 4GB of this ram:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231098

Vista is giving me a 4.8 rating (lowest one) and I wondered if my bios
settings are set wrong?

I'm running a C2D 4500 2.4@ 2.9 mhz on "auto voltage" (OC setting) or
similiar.

all my friends w/the same ram on Asus MB's are getting a rating of 5.7/5.8.

thx

bob

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Use that, as it will tell you how the BIOS set up the processor and RAM.
Once you see what's up, manual settings can be used to put things right.

Paul

Old March 1st 08, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bob johnson

Thanks, Paul

I'm confused here. I'm running a c2d 4500 running a 272x11 (2.99) but cpu-z
and windows is reporting stock speed (200x11= 2.2)

Here are the cpu-z memory settings:

200 mhz
1:1
4.0 clocks