ABIT AV8 Problem

Old April 16th 07, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
[email protected]

Default ABIT AV8 Problem

I bought an Athlon 64 4000 OEM CPU from Newegg and the ABIT AV8
motherboard from Ebay. The Ebay dealer claimed the board was a
refubed. That could have been bad news from the beginning. I tried
installing the board with everything plugged in. That included:

CD-RW drive
DVD-RW drive
3 ATA HDDs (160gb, 120gb, and 250gb)

(I know that may seem like overkill. I could bring that down to 2
HDD, if I do some house cleaning with my files.)

Nvidia 7600
Sound Blaster X-FI
ATI TV PCI card
PCI card with 2 ATA ports
512meg DDR3200-PNY
512meg DDR3200-Ultra
1gb DDR2700
512meg DDR2700-Kingston
Ultra 500 W Power Supply

I would get the 83-9C-9E-9F post codes. Then it would shut down.
I've seen all the posts about beeps, but I don't think I heard any. I
tried everything under the sun to overcome all those post codes. I
tried different configurations of the memory sticks and got nothing.
I tried an Ultra 400 W Power Supply that came with my new case, and
that didn't work. I tried a Nvidia 6600 card and even a Radeon All in
Wonder AGP card. Neither of them worked. I pulled the CMOS battery
out, and put it back in. Nothing there. I tried taking the board out
of the case and I tried powering it up out of the case with just a
stick of ram and the Radeon card. Still nothing. I pulled the CPU,
and reinserted it. That didn't work. The memory can't be bad,
because I put all 4 sticks (3 at a time) in an MSI board, and used the
400 W power supply. I could get that old board to boot with no
problems. I even tested the 400 W power supply on an old Gigabyte
board, and the power supply worked on that board.

That leaves me with 3 conclusions. The CPU, motherboard, or both are
shot. I'm contacting Newegg about the CPU. I may have to send it
back for a refund or replacement. I doubt I can get a refund or
replacement on the board. I don't have another 939 board to try the
CPU on. I don't feel like buying a new 939 board only to find out
that CPU won't work on that one. I've seen posts that maybe the Abit
board only works with the lower end Athlon 64 cpus, and that you need
to flash the bios to get it working with the 4000 CPUs or the X2
CPUs. I hope that isn't the case here, because I have no way in heck
in flashing the bios to work with 4000 CPUs. Is there anything else I
can do, or am I at the mercy of Newegg in getting a refund or
replacement for my CPU. I would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Craig Henrichs

Old April 16th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Wes Newell

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 04:11:08 -0700, henrichs_1 wrote:

[...]

it's quite possible that the board has an older bios that doesn't support
the newer Athlon CPU cores. The bios version should be on the bios chip or
board somewhere. Find it and then check the Asus webite for compatability.
If you find you have an old bios that doesn't support your cpu then you'll
either have to get new bios chip, an older cpu to flash a newer bios or
something else. You need the last bios to support that cpu.

AV8 BIOS 2.7

Version: 2.7 File Size: 294 KB Released Date: 2006-02-23

1. Fixed the issue that the system may not be able to boot when installed the processor of Rev. E
2. Enhanced compatibility with certain PCI RAID cards.
3. Support FX60.
4. BIOS compiled date: 02/23/2006

abit kn8 sli overclocking-problem pausmann Overclocking 0 April 30th 06 12:32 PM
a problem with ABIT SE6 morpheus276 Abit Motherboards 2 October 31st 05 09:36 PM
a problem with ABIT SE6 morpheus276 Abit Motherboards 0 October 31st 05 09:01 PM
Abit AI7 problem Justin Overclocking 1 February 5th 04 06:40 PM
Abit NF7 problem...how can I tell? TomG Overclocking AMD Processors 5 December 3rd 03 06:04 PM