Access Denied when trying to install SantaCruz Drivers. Any ideas?

Old December 17th 03, 09:57 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Default Access Denied when trying to install SantaCruz Drivers. Any ideas?

So here's the deal I'm working on a D8100 that has a SantaCruz sound card
that I'm told used to work. Now it doesn't and sits in the device manager
with a yellow bang over it.

So I simply tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers however when the
install process is complete I receive a dialog from device manager stating
the driver install was incomplete with the note of Access Denied as the
reason.

Anyone see this before or have any ideas on how to fix it?

--

Rob
"You put a living room where the crack den used to be!!!"

Old December 18th 03, 12:03 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

WSZsr wrote:
What OS? What version drivers?

Sorry, XP and the latest off the Dell site and off the Turtle Beach site;
forget the version # but it's the most recent available.

Old December 18th 03, 12:40 AM
WSZsr

from their website:

WINDOWS XP
1. Connect your powered speakers, microphone, and any other audio
peripherals
to the appropriate inputs and outputs on the Santa Cruz.

2. Turn on your PC. When Windows has booted for the first time after
installing the Santa Cruz hardware in your computer, Windows will report
new hardware found. This message box may appear as:
'Sound Fusion'
'Turtle Beach Santa Cruz' or
'Multimedia Audio Controller'
select the cancel button on the "New Hardware Found" window to close and
return to the Windows desktop.

NOTE:
You must click on Cancel at this screen to properly install the Santa
Cruz.

3. Insert the Santa Cruz installation CD into your CD-Rom drive.

4. When the Santa Cruz installation menu appears, select Santa Cruz Driver
Setup. Follow the instructions that appear during the install, selecting
the options that best match your audio setup.

5. If prompted, reboot the system.

Old December 18th 03, 01:15 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

WSZsr wrote:
[...]

Did exactly that and at the end of the installation it goes through the
process of loading the driver files and then ends with an Access Denied
message.

Old December 18th 03, 02:01 AM
Christopher Muto

are you logged in as administrator?
fwiw, you are not alone, but no solution was offered on the dell forum back
in october...
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=44506

Old December 18th 03, 02:16 AM
Edward J. Neth

Chances are one of the registry keys that needs to be modified has the wrong
permissions set on it.
Check with the manufacturer to see if they have anything in their knowledge
base to identify which key needs to have the permissions reset (that's done
with regedt32).

Old December 18th 03, 02:34 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Christopher Muto wrote:
are you logged in as administrator?
fwiw, you are not alone, but no solution was offered on the dell
forum back in october...

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=44506

Yep logged on as Administrator. Turtle Beaches site is not much help at
all, and it's comforting to know that the DellFourm seems just as helpful.

BTW: That is the exact error I'm getting.

Old December 18th 03, 03:20 AM
Christopher Muto

dell dosen't seem to have anything baout this but i did notice amoung the
limited info on tb's site that an early revision of their drivers added the
access denied message to 'limited' users trying to save new settings to the
control panel.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5852032.asp but your access denied
error may not be from the control panel being updated but rather because
some folder on your system is not considered to be something that your logon
is entitled to have access to. this can happen after reinstalls of xp over
an existing copy (some files wind up as orphans to the security system and
you have to 'take ownership' of them before you can manipulate them again).
if you are sure that you are adminstrator then i suggest that you boot to
safe mode, log in as administrator, and then try to install the drivers.
other than that, all i can think of suggesting is to disable file sharing
and try the above again... next would be to try to 'take ownership' of the
file or folder in question... but i don't know what that may be.

Old December 18th 03, 03:31 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Christopher Muto wrote:
are you logged in as administrator?
fwiw, you are not alone, but no solution was offered on the dell
forum back in october...

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=44506

Yep logged on as Administrator. Turtle Beaches site is not much
help at all, and it's comforting to know that the DellFourm seems
just as helpful.

BTW: That is the exact error I'm getting.

--

Rob
"You put a living room where the crack den used to be!!!"

Safe mode sounds like a good idea. I'm definitely logging on with admin
rights, as a mater of fact, I'm logging on as Administrator.