RAID Repair failed Disk

Old March 12th 04, 04:07 PM
GTS

Default RAID Repair failed Disk

Compaq Proliant ML330 with an integrated IDE RAID system. (Shows up as
Integrated Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID Controller in hardware properties.) One
of the two drives has failed, and the system is running in
"degraded mode". Raid BIOS Config. shows Raid 0 disk failed and Raid 1
disk normal. OS: Windows 2000 Advance Server.

I've serviced other RAID systems but am not familiar with this particular
hardware, and have not found very useful documentation. I would appreciate
any advice re. how to best replace the failed disk and rebuild the array.
Particularly, I'm not clear on whether this can be done without to reinstall
the OS and restore backups.

Old March 12th 04, 08:23 PM
kony

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:07:56 GMT, "GTS" wrote:

Compaq Proliant ML330 with an integrated IDE RAID system. (Shows up as
Integrated Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID Controller in hardware properties.) One
of the two drives has failed, and the system is running in
"degraded mode". Raid BIOS Config. shows Raid 0 disk failed and Raid 1
disk normal. OS: Windows 2000 Advance Server.

I've serviced other RAID systems but am not familiar with this particular
hardware, and have not found very useful documentation. I would appreciate
any advice re. how to best replace the failed disk and rebuild the array.
Particularly, I'm not clear on whether this can be done without to reinstall
the OS and restore backups.

Identify the RAID controller and check it's specs. It's possible it could
rebuild the array as a menu choice but most also have a utility
(downloadable from the website of (any manufacturer of same chipset card))
for windows that'll handle that.

Or you could see if Compaq has it... this might be what you want:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/18465.html
Though, that or an older version of it might already be installed.
Old March 13th 04, 12:01 AM
DaveW

You can NOT restore from a two disk RAID 0 array. You'll have to replace
the bad drive, format, and install the OS. Then, install your data from your
backup.

--
DaveW

Old March 13th 04, 04:37 AM
GTS

Here's what's confusing the heck out of me. The RAID config utility shows:

Array # Mode Stripe Size No of Stripes Array Size Status
00 Raid 1 [Blank] 01 38164MB
DEGRADED
01 Raid 0 64KB 01 38164MB
ONLINE

The system has two hard drives total, and shows a C and E drive each 40MB.
Data is accessible on both.
(The CD drive is D: - I have no idea why it was originally set up this way.)

The 2 hard drives are both 40GB drives (per checking actual specs) and are
connected as primary and slave off of one of the 2 IDE connectors on the
RAID card. (The other has nothing connected.) Given these drive and
partition sizes, I could understand both being RAID 0 drives , but not how
one could be RAID 0 and the other RAID 1. Compaq's "spy" monitor reports a
failed drive. (The vendor who originally installed this system did some
other strange things, and this doesn't seem like a normal setup.)

I'd greatly appreciate any further thoughts.

"mhaase-at-springmind.com" mhaase-at-springmind.com@ wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:01:44 -0800, "DaveW" wrote:

You can NOT restore from a two disk RAID 0 array. You'll have to replace
the bad drive, format, and install the OS. Then, install your data from

your
backup.

It may not BE a RAID 0 array. The numbers 0 & 1 in the OP's question
may indicate the two disks of a RAID 1 array. In which case he should
be able to replace the failed drive and let the RAID/Mirror rebuild.

Since he says the system is *running* (in degraded mode), I'd suspect
that's the case.

"GTS" wrote in message

Compaq Proliant ML330 with an integrated IDE RAID system. (Shows up as
Integrated Ultra ATA-100 IDE RAID Controller in hardware properties.)

One
of the two drives has failed, and the system is running in
"degraded mode". Raid BIOS Config. shows Raid 0 disk failed and Raid

1
disk normal. OS: Windows 2000 Advance Server.

I've serviced other RAID systems but am not familiar with this

particular
hardware, and have not found very useful documentation. I would

appreciate
any advice re. how to best replace the failed disk and rebuild the

array.
Particularly, I'm not clear on whether this can be done without to

reinstall
the OS and restore backups.
--

Stat: 1
Num: 1965

Old March 13th 04, 04:37 AM
GTS

"kony" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I do have the rebuild utility. It's in the Raid card BIOS and I
did recently bring it up to date from a Compaq update pack. I'm concerned
re. running the rebuild option though because it appears that in will
rebuild the mirror from the primary drive only and it is the primary that is
bad. I found some doc. re. the utility but it's very unclear on this
situation. I think I'm just going to have to do multiple backups to be
prepared in case of failure, and try it.