PC Dead since removal of TV Card

Old July 5th 03, 10:10 PM
amstereofan

Default PC Dead since removal of TV Card

Now switch on nothing no boot up power supply gone or whole thing shorted
?? Graphics card motherboard etc ?? I was'nt touching the chassis all of
the time while unsrewing the card so what have I done ?

Old July 6th 03, 12:54 AM
amstereofan

Moderator of the AM Stereo Europe Forum

AM Stereo for the UK soon! Watch this space!!
"rcm" wrote in message
a...
I assume ATX case.

You may have done something simple like pull off the ATX power switch lead
from the front panel to the motherboard. Check for it. Make sure it is on
and if so make sure it is on all the way.

Then check all other connecters inside the case. Press firmly to make

sure
they are all on correctly.

And lastly, make sure the power cord is plugged into the power supply
(firmly press in). Make sure the ATX power supply rocker switch is on the
back of the case.

This was all done as soon as I realized a problem all things are connected
100%!

It sounds like a simple stupid little thing rather than a disaster. It is
almost impossible to kill a system removing a card. (Unless you did it

with
the power on .... )

Well I don't know about that. I did'nt earth myself really while removing
the card so I think I've fried the mb though hopefully distroyed the hdd's.
Static and all that rule no 1 !!

Old July 6th 03, 01:16 AM
MiniDisc_2k2

It sounds like a simple stupid little thing rather than a disaster. It
is
almost impossible to kill a system removing a card. (Unless you did it

with
the power on .... )

Well I don't know about that. I did'nt earth myself really while removing
the card so I think I've fried the mb though hopefully distroyed the

hdd's.
Static and all that rule no 1 !!

Ouch. Now that's gotta suck. Would anyone mind telling me why all of you
people have such bad luck (or if I have a good motherboard)? I'm using a
GA-8SQ800 (Gigabyte) and I've touched the motherboard several times while
the hard power was still on and it was still plugged in. The soft power was
off (I'm not THAT stupid) but shouldn't it still have some power running
through it as it's an ATX board? Anyone else had an experience like that?

--
MiniDisc_2k2
To reply, replace nospam.com with cox dot net.

Old July 6th 03, 09:15 PM
rcm

I have worked on many many PCs since Apple II clones in 1981. It really is
hard to kill a system just removing a card. Not impossible, just real hard.
I have killed systems dropping a screw into the case, putting the AT
motherboard power cables on backward, 486 CPU in the socket rotated 90
degrees (ceramic melting like a sinkhole at the pin that fried, real neat),
bad bios flash, etc. All had a reason (my tiredness and stupidity most of
the time). I honestly don't think I knowingly killed a card or system with
static electricity but I probably did and it just tested bad and was
replaced. Static problems are impossible to prove after the fact but it
must definitely happen. Don't get me wrong, static is an issue, no question
of it. But people make a bigger issue of it and use it as a catch-all
excuse when things go wrong.

Most times when you have a problem it is because you are tired or did
something simple that was wrong. You made a simple change so I would assume
it to be a simple problem. Come back to it in a couple of days if you have
the patience.

I guess you will have to test each component in another PC proving each one
is good if you have another PC to use. If not do the minimal system
technique. Disconnect everything except the video and power it on. If it
works, rebuild it piece by piece. If not, consider removing the motherboard
and reseating it. Rebuild from scratch.

I don't know how many times over the years I have breadboarded tested a
system on the bench, then put it in a case to find it does not work. Take
it out, put it back in, redo all the cables and it works. Biggest problem I
have found it floppy and IDE cables, then CPU and RAM. They just aren't
seated properly, redoing them fixes the problem. But in your case, all you
did was remove a card. Don't know, you may have jiggled something loose
like an IDE cable. Or put it on backward ???

Good luck

pcmcia card not being recognized ChrisJ9876 General 1 July 3rd 03 03:00 PM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM
Video Card S3Trio General 11 June 29th 03 12:51 AM
Help with WinFast TV 2000 XP Tuner Card Joshua Klehm General 1 June 24th 03 10:52 PM
Best video card for around $200? Christoph General 1 June 23rd 03 09:23 PM